Packers Bludgeon Bears 55-14 in Embarrassing Rout

If there was any hope that the Chicago Bears were going to resurrect their season at Lambeau Field on Sunday night, it was quickly extinguished as Aaron Rodgers threw six touchdown passes and led the Green Bay Packers to a 55-14 victory. 

The Bears allowed more than 50 points for the second consecutive game on Sunday, becoming the first NFL team since the 1923 Rochester Jeffersons to accomplish the feat. 

For Bears fans fearing that the game would start out poorly, they were validated quickly. The Bears were forced to punt after getting two first downs, and the Packers promptly marched down the field and scored. The Bears did stop Eddie Lacy short of the goal line on third and goal, but on the next play Brandon Bostick was left wide open on a crossing route and hauled in a pass from Aaron Rodgers to give Green Bay a 7-0 lead.

Mike Adamle poses this question to Dan Hampton: What, short of ditching players, can the Bears do to fix the remainder of the season?

The Bears once again abandoned the run early on as they ran two straight passing plays, and on the second one Jay Cutler threw an interception to give the Packers great field position. A few plays later, Rodgers rubbed salt in the wound and found Andrew Quarless in the end zone for his second touchdown pass of the day to put Green Bay up 14-0.

Brandon Marshall got in on the act on the Bears’ next drive, but after a delay of game penalty the Bears’ drive once again ended abruptly with Clay Matthews sacking Cutler. The Packers again drove down the field quickly, with Rodgers finding Jordy Nelson for a 73-yard touchdown toss to end the first quarter with Chicago trailing 21-0.

Not content with one wide open touchdown to Nelson, the Packers got the ball back three minutes later and scored again. This time Nelson scampered in from 40 yards out as Ryan Mundy was slow to cover him over the top, and the Packers took a 28-0 lead with 12 minutes remaining in the first half.

Dan Hampton tears after the leadership of the Chicago Bears loss after the team’s 55-14 loss to the Green Bay Packers.

The Bears got a couple of first downs on their next drive, with Forte finally getting a long carry and Alshon Jeffery get a first down, but the Bears turned the ball over again on downs, and the Packers took advantage. This time it was Eddie Lacy doing the honors, scoring on a screen pass as he ran 56 yards to the end zone to give Green Bay a 35-0 lead with less than five minutes remaining in the first half.

It seemed as though the Bears would seize some momentum after Randall Cobb turned the ball over deep in Chicago territory, but Cutler once again showed carelessness with the ball and lost it when he was sacked by Julius Peppers. Peppers ended up recovering the ball as well, and the Packers were set up with great field position and about a minute left in the half.

Of course, it was only fitting that they would score again, and that’s exactly what they did. On a third and 10 play, Rodgers found Cobb in one-on-one coverage against Demontre Hurst, and the receiver made a tremendous one-handed catch to give Green Bay a 42-0 edge just before halftime.

As the second half got underway, the Bears finally forced the Packers into punting the ball away, but they couldn't capitalize as the offense once again sputtered. To make matters worse, Pat O'Donnell was charged with a fumble after Jarret Boykin came in and took the ball right off his foot. The Bears did make a goal line stand, but Mason Crosby chipped in an easy field goal to make it a 45-0 game. 

Mike Adamle poses this question to Dan Hampton: What, short of ditching players, can the Bears do to fix the remainder of the season?

The Bears finally got on the board on their next drive as Cutler found Brandon Marshall downfield. The receiver fought off Sam Shields, stiff-armed the defender to the ground, and then carried Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix into the end zone to get the Bears on the board. Robbie Gould booted through the extra point and brought them to within 45-7. 

As the third quarter wore on, the Packers did get another field goal from Crosby (this one from 52 yards out), but they hardly called off the dogs on the Bears. Mike McCarthy challenged a three yard completion to Marshall (the call stood), and then on third and long dialed up a blitz to go after Cutler. The Bears were forced to punt the ball away with the Packers up 41 points. 

Things didn't get any better for the Bears as their starters remained in the game. Marshall left the game with an ankle injury, and then Cutler threw a pick-six to really cement the carnage. The ball bounced off of Kyle Long's head and right into Casey Heyward's hands. The corner ran the ball all the way back for an 82-yard touchdown to make it a 55-7 game. 

On the ensuing kickoff, Chris Williams finally made his impact felt in the game, taking the return out from a yard deep in the end zone and scoring on a 101-yard return to make it a 55-14 contest with about nine minutes remaining in the game. 

After two consecutive games where the Bears gave up 50 or more points, fans take to Facebook and Twitter to answer the question, “What now?”
Contact Us