Injuries Reported After Storefront Explodes

A possible natural gas explosion blew out a storefront on Chicago's northwest side.

Two ambulances were called to the store, at 6134 W. Belmont Ave., after the explosion and resulting fire were reported.

One person was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in serious-to-critical condition, Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said. No other injuries were reported.

The office contained propane and oxygen tanks, which may have caused the explosion, Langford said. The office is in a strip mall and the other neighboring businesses were vacant.

The fire was out as of 4:30 p.m.

View Larger Map

Copyright CHIST - SunTimes
Contact Us