Fire Engulfs Popular “Stray Dog” Bar & Grill

Electrical issue determined to cause the blaze, which caused the restaurant's roof to cave in

A popular New Buffalo, Mich. restaurant went up in flames after an electrical problem Tuesday night.

The Stray Dog Bar and Grill caught fire just before 9 p.m. Tuesday, at a time when the packed restaurant was on a 30 to 45 minute wait for a table, local NBC station WNDU reported.

Firefighters determined that an electrical issue was to blame for the blaze.

Firefighters finally extinguished the fire in the early hours of Wednesday morning, but not before the roof caved in. Customers and staff were able to escape before the cave in.

The owner of the restaurant, Marc Denesi, said Wednesday he plans to rebuild, and that the process could take nine months, WNDU reports. Denesi has reportedly already called his architect.

Stray Dog is popular with locals, but with tourists from Chicago and from all over the country as well.

"You find people all over the country wearing Stray Dog shirts," server Ainsley Lump told WNDU. "In the city of Chicago, there's people wearing Stray Dog shirts, and it's a very memorable place."

Contact Us