An entire block in Chicago's South Side Morgan Park neighborhood was evacuated Tuesday morning after a home in the area exploded.
In a statement, Peoples Gas said a gas line was damaged by a third party just after 8 a.m. The damage resulted in natural gas igniting and causing an explosion to the home on the 2100 block of West 107th Place.
"All of a sudden, I hear a really loud boom. I felt it in my chest," said neighbor Jennifer Meade Magruder.
The owner of the home that exploded, Darlene Sheahan, was at nearby Sutherland Elementary School, where she is a kindergarten teacher, when the explosion occurred. Sheahan's teenage son, Luke, was also at school. The family's three-year-old dog was inside the home and did not make it.
Officials from the Chicago Fire Department were going door-to-door at 10:30 a.m. shutting off gas to homes.
"Earlier this morning the police were going around and people's gas was going out, so they must have known something was going on here," said neighbor Michael Stanton. "It was just filled with firemen."
Peoples Gas said the explosion and fire caused a temporary disruption in service to about 15 homes, but only one customer remains without service as of 7 p.m. Tuesday.