A man police believe is responsible for a terrifying home invasion that left a teenage brother and sister stabbed in suburban Sleepy Hollow was ordered held without bond Thursday.
Fabian Torres, 32, appeared in Kane County court after he was arrested in the brutal attack and alleged sexual assault that took place earlier this week in the small town about 42 miles northwest of Chicago. Torres, who was out on parole for a prior conviction, was charged with home invasion involving use of force or a weapon, attempted murder, attempted kidnapping and sexual assault, authorities said.
Prosecutors said the Monday attack at his neighbor's home in Sleepy Hollow was premeditated, noting that Torres went to a hardware store earlier in the day to purchase supplies including a rope and pepper spray.
They also said his neighbors weren't the only victims that day.
Village police said the man came in through an open door at a home near Saratoga and Belmont parkways and sexually assaulted a 19-year-old woman and stabbed her. The girl’s 17-year-old brother, police said, attempted to defend her and was also stabbed. Police said the brother and sister escaped to a neighbor’s home and called police.
Both were expected to be OK.
Two butcher knives were recovered from the scene, police said, and evidence technicians were investigating a trail of blood that extended through the neighborhood.
Police said the brother and sister did not know their attacker and that he may have been high or drunk.
Prosecutors said Torres also went to another home north of Sleepy Hollow, where he demanded his victim drive him to another location. The victim was able to call police and authorities ultimately took Torres into custody.
Officials were expected to hold a press conference to discuss the charges after a bond hearing Thursday morning.