lawyer

Exploding Vape Pen Causes ‘Severe Wound' to Woman's Face, Teeth: Cops

A person who answered the phone Monday night at The Vapor Shop said they were talking to their lawyer about the situation before commenting.

A woman suffered a “severe wound to her lower face” when her vape pen exploded Monday after she had its battery changed at a local business, police confirmed.

The woman went to The Vapor Shop in the 600 block of Harlem Road in Machesney Park for a new lithium battery shortly after 2 p.m. because hers had been “malfunctioning,” Lt. Pete DalPra of the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department.

The woman placed the e-cigarette in her mouth after the battery was changed and began to puff on it when it exploded, injuring her face and setting a nearby desk on fire, DalPra said. A worker at the shop used a fire extinguisher to put out the small fire, he said. The woman was taken to the hospital but her condition was unknown. She also had “some tooth damage,” DalPra said.

A person who answered the phone Monday night at The Vapor Shop said they were talking to their lawyer about the situation before commenting.

No other details were immediately available.

Contact Us