L.L. Bean says an Illinois man who sued over the retailer's new return policy never has tried to return any products.
The lawsuit in federal court accuses Maine-based L.L. Bean of breach of warranty over changes to its unlimited "satisfaction" guarantee.
The company asked a judge in a filing last week to dismiss the lawsuit.
L.L. Bean said there's no evidence that the plaintiff, Victor Bondi, has ever attempted to return anything, so "there's no controversy for this court to resolve."
It also says the suit misrepresented the policy because returns made before Feb. 9, 2018, are not subject to the revised policy so long as there's proof of purchase. Going forward, there's a one-year limit for most new purchases.
Bondi's lawyers didn't respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.