Richard Ray

2 Hospitalized After Possible Chlorine Leak at Northwest Suburban Chicago Pool

A possible chlorine leak at a suburban Chicago pool sent two people to the hospital Thursday in critical condition and sickened a total of 14 people.

Police officers in Lincolnshire were dispatched about 2:20 p.m. to a community pool at 445 Village Green "for an unresponsive female and an unresponsive male" at the pool, village officials said. Officers found the pair unconscious but breathing. They were taken to Lutheran General Hospital in serious condition. The 12 others, which included first responders, were treated at the scene.

The problem is being treated as a hazardous material situation that may be a chlorine leak or a carbon monoxide leak from a recent pool servicing, officials said.

"Additionally, several first responders are being evaluated for exposure to the chemical," officials said in a statement. "Residents in the immediate area were notified to stay indoors with their windows closed and ventilation systems off."

No other information was immediately available.

Contact Us