Convicted Killer Walks Free After 12 Years - NBC Chicago

Convicted Killer Walks Free After 12 Years

Justin Boulay killed his ex-girlfriend. Now he's moving to Hawaii with his new wife.



    A man convicted of killing his girlfriend will walk out of prison a free man after just serving half of his sentence. Angry friends and family say it's a slap in the face to those who loved Andrew Will. (Published Monday, Nov. 15, 2010)

    Thirteen years ago, Justin Boulay killed his college sweetheart, Andrea Will, by strangling her with the cord of a telephone. On Tuesday, and after serving just half of his sentence, he walked out of prison a free man with plans to move to Hawaii.

    That's left the victim's family searching once again for justice in their heartbreak.

    "He can have a family now," said Sally Zikas, who was Will's sorority sister at Eastern Illinois University. "He can do all the things that Andrea wasn't able to do. And it's infuriating."

    Vigils are planned for Will in Hawaii and at sites across Illinois as her admitted killer walks out of the Danville Correctional Center a free man.

    Will's former roommate, Michele Voigt-Felde said she always thought that she and others would be able to testify at Boulay's parole hearing.  That's not the case.

    "Andrea has no voice.  She is six feet in the ground and we can't even hug her," said Voigt-Felde, who believes a registry should be created for first-degree murderers.

    Boulay intends to move to Hawaii to be with his new wife, a doctor, whom he married in 2007 while incarcerated.

    "It's to think that some woman married him and because of that he gets to fly off to paradise and live happily ever after and start a whole new life," said Zikas.

    There's no suggestion that anybody did anything improper. Under the sentencing guidelines at the time, Boulay was able to service what is known as "day for a day." He got one day eliminated from his sentence for every day served.  New laws require those convicted of violent crimes to serve at least 85 percent of their sentences, the Chicago Tribune reported.

    "We're just showing a unified effort at our disgust for what's happened to [the family] and how the justice system has failed them so miserably," said Zikas.

    Even authorities in Hawaii were not happy about Boulay's intention to move to Honolulu, but there was nothing they could do to prevent it.