Four men were killed and at least 20 other people — including a 12-year-old boy — have been injured in shootings across Chicago since Friday night, police said.
A 13-month-old boy, identified as Dillan Harris, died Saturday afternoon when he and his stroller were run down by a vehicle fleeing a deadly gang shooting in Woodlawn, the police said.
“I tried to save my baby,” his mother said later Saturday as she gathered with grieving relatives on the South Side.
The boy's mother said she had been waiting at a bus stop at 63rd and Ellis a little before 2 p.m. Saturday with her three kids — Dillan and his two older sisters — as they were headed for a family outing to the 63rd Street Beach.
A westbound car, which the Chicago Police Department said was fleeing a shooting in the 7700 block of South Kingston, raced up and struck the boy.
“All of a sudden, they swerved and hit a pole and hit my baby,” said the mother, who declined to give her name.
She said she tried to push all of her kids out of the way but didn’t have enough time to get Dillan clear of the danger.
“It happened in the blink of an eye,” she said. “When I looked up, they were just there. I tried my best to save my baby.”
When she saw the stroller had been hit, she said, “I knew he was gone.”
A 22-year-old man, identified as Chicago rapper Capo of Chief Keef's "Glo Gang," was killed in the shooting that led to the chase.
The rapper was shot in the hip and back and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, police said.
Police were questioning two people late Saturday afternoon in connection with both incidents.
Earlier Saturday, a man was fatally shot at an Austin neighborhood party on the West Side.
Three men with known gang ties were outside in the 200 block of South Laramie about 3:15 a.m. when they got into a fight and gunfire erupted, police said.
A 26-year-old man was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
A 27-year-old man shot in both legs and a 24-year-old man shot in one leg were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital. The older man was listed in critical condition, and the younger man’s condition was stabilized, police said.
About an hour earlier, a 23-year-old man was shot and killed in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood on the South Side.
At about 2:15 a.m., Tarvares Herron was at the wheel of an SUV at a red light in the 6900 block of South Lafayette when he began talking with two females in a black car who were also stopped at the light, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.
A male in the back seat of the black car then pulled out a gun and opened fire, striking Herron in the head, authorities said. The car sped away eastbound.
Herron, of the 5900 block of South Wabash, was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:39 a.m., the medical examiner’s office said.
The weekend’s first fatal shooting happened about 11:10 p.m. Friday in Grand Crossing’s 7500 block of South Langley.
Officers responding to a call of shots fired found a 25-year-old man lying on a sidewalk with a gunshot wound to the chest. He was taken to Jackson Park Hospital where he later died, police said. It was the same block where another man was shot to death by a Chicago Police officer the previous night.
At least 20 people were wounded in weekend shootings, including the following incidents:
- A 15-year-old boy and a 24-year-old man were shot at about 3:20 p.m. Sunday in the 7300 block of South Vernon in the Park Manor neighborhood.
- A 24-year-old man was shot in both legs at about 6:40 a.m. Sunday in the 4500 block of South Wood in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.
- A 23-year-old man was shot in the calf at about 9:40 p.m. Saturday in the 7300 block of South Champlain in the Park Manor neighborhood.
- A 12-year-old boy was seriously wounded after he was shot in the leg at about 5 p.m. Saturday in the 8700 block of South Saginaw in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood.
- Two men were shot at about 9:15 a.m. Saturday in the 700 block of East 92nd Place in the Chatham neighborhood.
- A 25-year-old man was shot in the buttocks at about 6 a.m. Saturday in the 1500 block of North Lockwood in the Austin neighborhood.
- A 30-year-old man was shot at about 2:40 a.m. Saturday in the 1400 block of West 79th Street in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood.
- A 39-year-old man was shot in the leg at about 1:15 a.m. Saturday in the 9900 block of South Lowe in the Washington Heights neighborhood.
- A 21-year-old man was shot in the leg at about 1 a.m. Saturday in the 11400 block of South Normal in the Roseland neighborhood.
- A 22-year-old man was shot at about 12:10 a.m. Saturday in the 5000 block of West Division in the Austin neighborhood.
- Two men were shot at about 11:25 p.m. Friday in the 7900 block of South Halsted in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood.
- A 31-year-old woman was shot in the foot at about 11:20 p.m. Friday in the 700 block of South Homan in the Homan Square neighborhood.
- A 20-year-old man was shot in the torso at about 7:15 p.m. in the 8300 block of South Pulaski in the Ashburn neighborhood.