Illinois Teen Dies After Taking Drug ‘Molly,' Going to Wis. Nightclub

A concertgoer who died after taking a popular party drug and going to a nightclub in Milwaukee over the weekend has been identified as an Illinois teen.

Kara Starr, 18, was pronounced dead at a Wisconsin hospital after she lost consciousness and began having seizures on the floor of The Rave nightclub, according to NBC affiliate station TMJ4.

Starr had been at the nightclub to attend a concert with her boyfriend. According to a report from the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner, she told paramedics she had taken .4 of the synthetic drug MDMA, commonly known as “Molly.”

She was taken to an area hospital where she later died after reportedly testing positive for amphetamines and cannabinoids. 

The nightclub confirmed the incident in a statement to TMJ4. 

"On Saturday night/early Sunday morning our staff was made aware of a problem with an 18 year-old female patron,” the statement read. “We took immediate action to assess her condition under the supervision of a medical professional. Her boyfriend informed us that drugs were purchased and ingested before the woman and her boyfriend arrived at the venue. After undergoing observation, 911 was contacted and the woman was transported to the hospital. The Rave/Eagles Club takes every precaution to ensure that our patrons enjoy our shows in a safe environment. We extend our sincere condolences to her family and friends." 

The venue has a no drug policy, according to its website. 

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, high doses of MDMA can affect the body’s ability to regulate temperature, which can lead to a spike in body temperature that can occasionally result in liver, kidney, heart failure or sometimes death. 

“Adding to MDMA's risks is that pills, capsules, or powders sold as Ecstasy and supposedly "pure" Molly may contain other drugs instead of or in addition to MDMA,” the institute’s website reads. “Much of the Molly seized by the police contains additives such as cocaine, ketamine, methamphetamine, over-the-counter cough medicine, or synthetic cathinones ("bath salts").” 

A funeral for Starr is expected to be held Friday in Evergreen Park.

Contact Us