Amtrak officials aren't ruling out the possibility that Hurricane Irene will affect train service in and out of Chicago.
The rail agency on Thursday canceled several weekend trains along the East Coast in advance of the storm.
"The trains we have canceled thus far are north-south on the east coast," Amtrak spokesman Steve Kulm said via email. "East-west trains into New York could be impacted if the weather gets severe enough."
The Capitol Limited trains run between Chicago and Washington, D.C., and Cardinal/Hoosier State trains run between Chicago and New York City.
Amtrak's Northeast Corridor Service Alerts:
The following cancellations have been made for Aug. 26:
• Northeast Regional Trains 67 and 83 (Boston – Newport News) will terminate in Washington.
The following cancellations have been made for Aug. 26, Aug. 27 and Aug. 28:
• Auto Train Trains 52 and 53 (Sanford, Fla. - Lorton, Va.)
• Palmetto Trains 89 and 90 (New York - Savannah)
• Silver Star Trains 91 and 92 (New York -Tampa - Miami), canceled New York to Jacksonville; train will operate between Jacksonville and Miami
• Silver Meteor Trains 97 and 98 (New York - Miami)
The following cancellations have been made for Aug. 27:
• Carolinian Trains 79 and 80 (New York - Charlotte, N.C.)