Chicago Fire

No Injuries Reported After Gas Main Ignites on Chicago's South Side

Officials say that some evacuations were ordered and that gas meters are being shut off

Approximately 60 homes are without gas service after a gas line caught fire on Chicago’s South Side on Tuesday night.

According to fire officials, a gas leak was reported in the 8900 block of South Marshfield on Tuesday evening, and the main ignited, sending flames shooting 20-to-25 feet into the sky:

Fire officials say the leak was caused when a construction crew hit a gas main. 

Fire officials say no one was injured in the fire, and crews remain on scene and evacuations are continuing in the area.

Approximately 60 homes are without gas service, and could be for several hours, officials said. 

Firefighters sprayed water on the homes closest to the blaze in an effort to prevent the fire from spreading. 

Residents forced to leave their house because of the fire will have access to a warming bus, officials said. 

Contact Us