As Marvin Clinton watched the Indiana National Guard tear down abandoned homes in Gary, Indiana Monday, he says he thinks about his fiance Teaira Batey--whose body had been found inside of an abandon home nearly three years ago--the victim of suspected serial killer.
“Once these guys came in a half a block was gone in two days,” Clinton said. “To see them doing what they doing now is a wonderful start, because we know these houses is coming down.”
Taking down the abandon homes has been part of Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson’s plan since taking office nearly six years ago, and the problem made headlines after authorities say accused serial killer Darren Vann dumped bodies in some of those abandoned homes.
The National Guard started tearing down the abandon homes last Thursday, after the city requested they take action through Indiana’s counter drug task force. So far the guard has knocked down six abandon homes.
“Hopefully 15 by the end of this week, depending on efficiency we will see where we go,” said Lt. Michael Anthony Pupillo of the Indiana National Guard.
Taking down the abandon homes has been part of Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson’s plan since taking office nearly six years ago.
“Not only are they an eyesore but they are a safety hazard, we saw Darren Vann as an example,” she said. “To the extent that they can 10 to 15 a week then that would be tremendous opportunity for us to maybe get 30 to 40 homes down.”
The home where the body of Clinton’s fiance had been discovered still stands, along with just some of the homes where Vann’s victims had been found he has been charged with their murders.
Clinton says he will wait patiently for the home where his finance had been found to finally come down.
“Even though this is not four of the houses where the bodies was found in, to me, this is a start,” he said.