chicago news

Eataly closed until Sunday as investigation into shots fired incident at downtown marketplace continues

NBC Universal, Inc.

Note: The video in the player above is from a previous report.

Eataly, the popular Italian marketplace in downtown Chicago that was the site of a massive police presence Friday morning will remain closed until Sunday as a police investigation into the incident continues.

The business announced that they would remain closed until Sunday after a "verbal and physical altercation" involving three people led to the discharge of a firearm.

Eataly issued the following statement:

"An unfortunate altercation occurred today between several individuals at our Chicago location.  In response, we immediately notified law enforcement, and they successfully secured the situation. We understand that no individuals sustained significant injuries, however, the investigation is ongoing. Our location will remain closed until Sunday. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our valued community."

Chicago police confirmed Saturday that the incident is under "active investigation" without any further updates.

According to authorities, officers were called around 9:20 a.m. to Eataly, located at 43 E. Ohio St. There, they said a man was involved in a "verbal and physical altercation" with two other people inside the business.

During the altercation, the man pulled out a firearm, which discharged during a struggle, police said.

No one was struck by the gunfire and the two people took the man's gun and fled the scene before officers arrived, authorities said.

The man who initially had the gun suffered minor injuries during the fight, according to police, but no other injuries were reported.

A heavy police presence was seen outside Eataly in the moments that followed, with road closures in place in the area as shoppers and customers reported a chaotic scene. Sources told NBC Chicago at least one person was taken into custody, however.

One customer told NBC Chicago she saw people running out of the store as she tried to go in for coffee.

A contracted employee said he was told to “get the hell out of here, someone has a gun.” Another employee said an incident happened on the second floor of the marketplace, adding that the building was evacuated and "someone came to tell us it was an emergency and we had to leave now."

NBC Chicago reporter Lexi Sutter said she witnessed one person loaded into an ambulance. The scene appeared chaotic as passersby and witnesses navigated the area, she said.

Traffic was seen backing up along Ohio as police blocked streets. Ohio Street was blocked off near Wabash Avenue, according to traffic reports, citing "police activity."

Later Friday, a sign had been posted on Eataly's doors saying the market would be closed for the rest of the day.

"Ciao Eatalians," the sign read. "Eataly will be closed for the remainder of the day (Friday, May 17, 2024). We apologize for any inconvenience."

Contact Us