Audio, Photos Released in North Chicago Beating Case

Darrin Hanna, 45, died last November following his arrest during a domestic disturbance

The mother of a man who died a week after being in police custody broke into hysterics Monday night during a North Chicago city council meeting that included the playing of audio recordings she said depicts her son pleading for his life.

"This is over four months. I can't take this any longer. You couldn't understand what I am going through," Gloria Carr told those gathered.

Darrin Hanna, 45, died last November following his arrest during a domestic disturbance. As she's done since her son's death, Carr has called for the officers involved to be fired.

Police said Hanna was beating his pregnant girlfriend, was combative and was resisting arrest. Recordings released Monday shed light on a portion of his confrontation with officers:

Officer: "You're OK. You're OK. Relax. Calm down. You're OK."
Hanna: "Put me down! Put me down! I'm about to die! I was down. I was down."
Officer: "OK. OK. (Inaudible.)"
Hanna: "They killing me. (Inaudible.)"

The Lake County Coroner said Hanna's death was caused by a combination of factors, including "acute and chronic cocaine abuse, physical trauma and restraint, Taser restraint, poorly controlled hypertension and chronic renal insufficiency."

But Hanna's family says their relative died as a result of being beaten by officers. Photos of Hanna with severe facial wounds were shared Monday night, prompting several to leave the room in tears. NBC Chicago has chosen not to publish those photos due to their graphic nature.

Hanna's death prompted several other people to come forward claiming they'd been victimized by the North Chicago Police Department. In the wake of the incident, Hanna's family has collected evidence, including the newly-released audio records, in hopes of filing a lawsuit against the department and the officers involved.

A review of the incident by Illinois State Police concluded the officers used reasonable force.

"When the tape was brought to our attention, naturally you want to go back and talk to the officers and review the contents of that tape and we're in the process of doing that," said North Chicago interim police chief James Jackson, the community's third chief since November.

Mike Newsome, who was police chief when Hanna was arrested, was placed on leave in January and retired a month later. His successor, Michael Hosking, quit after just days on the job.

North Chicago reportedly paid about $1.3 million to settle a half dozen police brutality claims during Newsome's six-year tenure.

The six officers involved in the confrontation with Hanna remain employed but are on administrative duties. Jackson said an internal investigation will be completed, and the officers' fates decided, next week.

Contact Us