Chicago's First Homicide of 2014 Among 10 Shot Since Friday

A 30-year-old man was killed Friday afternoon in what is believed to be Chicago's first homicide of 2014, and at least one other person was killed and eight people injured in shootings since Friday.

Police responded to a call of a person shot around 1:15 p.m. Friday in the 300 block of West 114th Street where they discovered a man with gunshot wounds to the back, face and buttocks, police said.

The man, identified as 30-year-old Ronald Sawyer, was initially transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in serious condition, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada.

He was pronounced dead at 4:08 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

Police said no one was in custody as of Saturday morning and Area South detectives are investigating.

Later Friday, a 52-year-old man was shot during an apparent robbery in the South Deering neighborhood.

The shooting took place around 8:20 p.m. in the 2600 block of East 106th Street, Estrada said.

The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in serious condition, according to authorities.

Early Saturday morning, two men were shot during an argument in the 200 block of East 106th Street.

The men were standing on a sidewalk just after 3 a.m. when they were involved in a verbal argument with a third man. The third man pulled out a gun and fired shots at both victims.

A 55-year-old man was taken to Mercy Hospital with a gunshot wound to the chest. He was listed in critical condition, police said.

A 25-year-old man took himself to Mercy Hospital and was also listed in critical condition with wounds to the chest and right leg, Estrada said.

Both men were later transported to John H. Stroger Hospital.

Less than 40 minutes later, a 29-year-old man was shot while driving in the 3200 block of North Milwaukee Avenue.

Police said the man was stopped on the block when an offender in another vehicle drove up and yelled gang slogans at the victim before firing into the car.

The victim drove himself to Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center with wounds to the right leg.

The man was treated and released, police said.

A man was shot early Saturday afternoon during an apparent drive-by shooting on the city's South Side.

Police said a 22-year-old man was shot around 10:50 a.m. in the 8000 block of South Artesian Avenue by an offender in a possibly white vehicle.

The man was treated at the scene and refused further medical attention, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic.

Around 12:30 p.m., a 23-year-old man walked into West Suburban Medical Center with gunshot wounds.

The man was show in the 3900 block of West Ohio Street, police said, but few details were available on the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

The man was transported to Stroger Hospital in serious condition.

A few hours later, a man was shot in the 5400 block of West Madison Street.

A 28-year-old man was shot in the arm and leg around 4:30 p.m., police said. The man told police he was in his car when an unknown offender approached on foot, shot him, and fled the scene.

The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition.

Late Saturday, a 20-year-old man was shot in the arm in the 3100 block of West 52nd Street, police said.

The man was walking when he heard shots and felt pain.

He was last listed in stable condition at Mount Sinai Hospital, according to authorities.

On Sunday, a second person was killed in a shooting the 500 block of East 38th Place.

A 16-year-old boy was shot just before 6 a.m. and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police did not have any further information surrounding the teen's shooting but an investigation is underway.

Contact Us