On Saturday, two men were killed and at least 12 other people were wounded in shootings across the city of Chicago.
A man was fatally shot and a woman was wounded in the Burnside neighborhood. Officials were called around 1:10 a.m. to the 9100 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue, where they found the two victims, Chicago Police said. Derric Smith, 41, of Englewood, was found inside a vehicle with multiple gunshot wounds to his head, the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office and police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The 22-year-old woman was found with gunshot wounds across the street, police said. She was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition.
According to police, two people were shot in the 2700 block of East 75th Street at approximately 12:24 a.m. Saturday morning. A 21-year-old man was shot in the chest and back, and he was taken to University of Chicago Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Another man was shot in the left hand, but refused medical treatment.
Police say the two men were walking down a street when a vehicle pulled up and one of the occupants opened fire, striking both men. The shooting is still under investigation.
Less than an hour later, another fatal shooting took place in the 9100 block of South Cottage Grove, police said. Police responding to a call of shots fired found a 41-year-old man sitting in a car with multiple gunshot wounds to his head and body, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
An unidentified woman was discovered nearby, and she too suffered multiple gunshot wounds. The woman was taken to the University of Chicago Hospital in critical condition.
Just after 10 a.m. in the 1600 block of South Lawndale, a 15-year-old boy was shot in the abdomen and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. No one is in custody, and police are investigating the circumstances of the shooting.
In the city’s most recent shooting, two men were shot after they drew guns and fired at one another during an altercation in the 100 block of East 47th Street at approximately 5:13 p.m.
A 43-year-old man, who was shot in the back, is in critical condition at University of Chicago Hospital, and a 40-year-old man is in stable condition after being shot in the arm.
Here are the rest of the shootings that took place in the city on Saturday:
- A 27-year-old man was shot in the hand during a robbery in the 4200 block of West Filmore at approximately 2 a.m., police said. According to authorities, two men walked up to the victim and demanded money, and then a brief struggle began. The victim was shot in the hand, and he was taken to Mount Sinai in stable condition.
- At approximately 3:32 a.m., a 39-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and leg after an unknown gunman walked up to him and fired shots. The man, a documented gang member, was taken to Stroger Hospital in stable condition.
- A 29-year-old man was walking down a street in the 8800 block of South King Drive at approximately 12:10 p.m. when he heard shots and felt pain. He suffered gunshot wounds to his buttocks and wrist, and was taken to University of Chicago Hospital in stable condition.
- A 15-year-old boy was shot in the arm in the 6900 block of South Maplewood at approximately 2:03 p.m., police said. The boy, a documented gang member, was transferred to Comers Children’s Hospital in good condition.
- A 34-year-old man is in good condition after he was shot in the right calf. The man was shot in the 4700 block of South Kildare at approximately 2:36 p.m., and police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting.