Chicago police say that at least one person has been killed and five others have been wounded in shootings across the city this Memorial Day weekend.
In the only fatal shooting of the weekend so far, a 26-year-old man was fatally shot Saturday afternoon in the North Lawndale neighborhood, according to law enforcement. At approximately 2:14 p.m. in the 3100 block of West Ogden Avenue, the man was driving in a vehicle when an unknown offender shot him in the face and chest.
The victim's vehicle came to a rest after striking a light pole, police said. He was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital and subsequently pronounced dead.
The incident remains under investigation by detectives.
Here are the rest of the weekend’s shootings as of Saturday evening:
- At approximately 6:55 p.m. in the 4000 block of South Wabash, a 42-year-old man was working as a rideshare driver when a male passenger attempted to rob him at gunpoint. The two struggled, according to police, which resulted in the firing of the gun. The 42-year-old sustained a graze wound to the abdomen. He was transported to University of Chicago Medical Center in good condition.
- In the 3300 block of W. 47th Street at about 12:19 a.m., a 40-year-old man was standing outside when an unknown man fired shots from a passing pickup truck, hitting him in the back twice. He was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.
- At approximately 1:18 a.m. in the 7100 block of South Dobson, a black Dodge Charger pulled up to a group of boys and someone began firing shots from the vehicle. A 12-year-old boy suffered a graze wound to the leg and was transported to Comer Children's Hospital in good condition.
- A 22-year-old woman was shot at approximately 4:30 p.m. in the 2100 block of South Keeler, police stated. The victim was on a sidewalk when she sustained a gunshot wound to the face, authorities said. She was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and reported to be in good condition.
- At approximately 5:29 p.m. in the 11800 block of South Prairie, a 33-year-old man was shot while standing in a front yard, police said. He sustained a gunshot wound to the left calf and was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center. The victim was said to be in good condition.