Chicagoland Recovers After Damaging Storms

Violent storms powered through the Chicago area Saturday night.

The storms thrashed through the Kane County areas and other northwest suburbs.

Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued for Cook, DuPage, Kane and McHenry counties in the early evening hours.

A woman was injured in the storm when a construction trailer was flipped on its side in the Huntley area.

Witnesses said the storm came suddenly and wreaked havoc on the area within seconds.

The woman was able to climb out of the trailer after it flipped and witnesses helped her to shelter.

“We helped her back through the field and brought her in. We got her some towels and put ice on her head until paramedics came,” said Heather Brown.

Storms could also reach the Chicago area Sunday afternoon and rain is possible throughout the evening.

The threat continues into the week, as chances of rain continue for Monday and Tuesday, according to NBC Chicago’s Cheryl Scott.

Chicago was left picking up the pieces after storms tore through the area Friday causing severe damage in some places and canceling events across the city.

A Severe Thunderstorm Warning was in effect for Cook and DuPage counties until 10 p.m. but significant rain was still reported throughout the viewing area well after that.

Heavy rains moved their way into the North Side of Chicago and the northwestern suburbs.

The Niles and Park Ridge areas both recorded storm damage when heavy winds toppled dozens of trees.

ComEd said 19,000 were left without power in its North region.

"It's our biggest region," said a ComEd spokesperson. "We kept extra crews on, so we don't anticipate any extended outages."

Although ComEd is working to get the electricity back on as soon as possible they could not specify a time when power will be restored.

The stormy skies also put a halt to several concerts around the city Friday night, including the Pearl Jam concert at Wrigley Field.

Fans were cleared from the field into sheltered areas and some left the stadium. They were originally told the delay would last around an hour.

A fan inside the stadium said people were starting to move back toward their seats at 11:30 p.m.

The concert resumed and music continued until around 2 a.m., officials said.

The Pitchfork Music Festival at Union Park in the West Loop ended a little earlier than planned because of the rain.

And Phish fans were left scrambling from the rain during that show at Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island.

Contact Us