Chicago police are alerting the public after a series of armed carjackings in the city’s Englewood neighborhood in recent weeks.
According to a police alert, at least five carjackings have been reported, with the most recent one occurring on Jan. 16. Police say that during the incidents, drivers are either stopped at a stoplight or sitting in their parked vehicles when one or two men run up to the car and point a gun at them, commanding them to exit the vehicle.
The perpetrators then drive away in the vehicle after the incident.
The incidents have occurred:
- 6100 block of South Carpenter – Jan. 1 at 11:50 p.m.
- 6100 block of South Morgan – Jan. 3 at 4:14 a.m.
- 5900 block of South Ashland – Jan. 10 at 5:40 a.m.
- 1500 block of West Garfield Blvd. – Jan. 13 at 5:03 a.m.
- 5700 block of South Laflin – Jan. 16 at 5:28 p.m.
The suspects are described as African-American men between the ages of 20 to 24. They stand between 5-foot-7 and 5-foot-10, and weight between 140 and 175 pounds.
Anyone with information on the thefts is encouraged to call Area South detectives at 312-747-8273, or to dial 911 and provide a detailed description of the suspects.