Weis: Michael Scott Committed Suicide

Former Chicago Board of Education President died nearly three weeks ago

Chicago police say they've completed their investigation into the death of former Chicago School Board President Michael Scott and ruled that his death a suicide.  The ruling ends nearly three weeks of debate between city officials and family members.

"It is our determination that this is a suicide," Chicago police Supt. Jody Weis said at a press event Friday.

Records from Scott's cell phone and information from citizens indicated nothing out of the ordinary, Weis said.  Surveillance from Office of Emergency Management and Communications cameras showed that Scott was alone the evening prior to his death.

Weis said police met with Scott's widow on Thursday evening to inform her of the result of the investigation.

"We understand that it is difficult for those who knew Michael Scott to come to grips with this determination, however rest assured the Chicago Police Department conducted a comprehensive and thorough investigation into every aspect of his actions that evening," Weis said.  "It is with a great deal of sadness that we close this investigation and extend our condolences to the family."

Scott's body was found early on the morning of Nov. 16 near the Chicago River with a gunshot wound to the left side of his head.  An illegal handgun belonging to Scott was found beneath his body  and gunshot residue was recovered from his left hand.  Scott was left-handed.

During the investigation, divers recovered Scott's identification and money clip, which police said indicated that Scott wasn't robbed.  Weis confirmed Friday that there has been no activity on any of Scott's accounts since his death.

His death was quickly ruled a suicide by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office, but police brass balked after hearing concerns from Scott's friends and family.

 "We want to conduct a thorough investigation before we make that determination ourselves," Weis said at the time.

Contact Us