Former Chicago Police Officer Convicted of Perjury - NBC Chicago

Former Chicago Police Officer Convicted of Perjury

Sylshina London claimed she was hit by a bottle in March 2010 but surveillance video showed attack never happened



    Debra Green says then-officer Sylshina London lied about a March 2010. A judge agreed. Emily Florez reports. (Published Friday, Jan. 18, 2013)

    A Chicago woman was claiming victory Friday after a judge found a police officer guilty of perjury for lying about an alleged attack.

    "I feel relieved but I feel so hurt because this right here took a lot out of me mentally, physically, and I didn't see my sister go down into the ground," Debra Green said Friday.

    It was March 2010 when she and her father were driving to Mount Hope Cemetery to see her sister laid to rest and she saw a car weaving in and out of the funeral procession.

    "I was like, 'This is a funeral. This is a funeral,' and she looked and the next thing I knew she started following the funeral," she recalled.

    Minutes later, Green said she was surrounded by police officers with weapons pointed. It turns out that officer Sylshina London -- off duty at the time -- was driving to work and had called for police back up claiming Green had assaulted her during a verbal exchange.

    "I overheard her boss and her talking to the lieutenant, and she was like, 'She hit me with a bottle.' I'm like, 'Oh, my goodness. I did not,'" said Green.

    Green was charged and convicted of battery based on London's false accusation. That conviction was overturned roughly eight months later after surveillance video proved the incident never happened as London had described.

    Now nearly three years after the incident it's London who finds herself convicted. Green said she's relieved but finds little solace in what she'll never have.

    "I was cheated out my sister's burial. It's something I will never, ever get back or forget," she said.

    London resigned from the Chicago Police Department in 2011 and remains out on bond. She faces up to five years in prison when she's sentenced on March 3.