Eight people are dead and 46 others were wounded in shootings across Chicago during a violent Labor Day Weekend.
Another person was stabbed to death on the holiday, bringing the weekend's total number of homicides to nine slain from 6 p.m. Friday to 3 a.m. Tuesday.
In the first fatal shooting of the holiday weekend, a 35-year-old man was shot to death while he was sitting in a passenger seat of a parked car in the North Lawndale neighborhood Friday evening. The victim was inside the car in the 1100 block of South Richmond when an unknown offender walked up to him at about 8:20 p.m. and opened fire, striking the man in the stomach, police said.
The offender then fled westbound on foot. A friend of the victim's drove the man to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to police. No one is in custody for the shooting, and Area North detectives are investigating the incident.
About three hours later, three men were shot, one fatally, in the North Austin neighborhood. The three victims were standing on the sidewalk in the 1600 block of North Mayfield when someone inside a passing car fired shots at them, striking all three men, police said.
One of the victims — a 31-year-old man — was shot in the torso and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition, police said. The man was later pronounced dead at the hospital. The other victims — a 22-year-old man and a 28-year-old man — were both shot in their lower right legs. Both were listed in stable condition, one at Loyola University Medical Center and the other at West Suburban Medical Center, police said. No one is in custody for the shooting, and Area North detectives are investigating. A police source said the shooting is believed to be gang-related as all victims were documented gang members.
Only 20 minutes later, another fatal shooting left a 22-year-old man dead in the North Lawndale neighborhood. The victim was standing on the sidewalk in the 1800 block of South Drake at about 11:40 p.m. Friday when a gold-colored SUV drove by and someone inside opened fire, striking the man in the chest, abdomen and legs, according to police. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. No one is in custody for the shooting, and Area South detectives are investigating. A police source said the incident was possibly gang-related.
Early Sunday morning, a 19-year-old woman was shot to death during an outdoor party in the South Side Woodlawn neighborhood. At 1:30 a.m., the woman was standing with a group of people in an alley in the 6100 block of South Cottage Grove when a fight broke out, police said. In the course of the fight, shots were fired, and the woman was struck in the head. The woman was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, police said. No one is in custody for the shooting, and Area Central detectives are investigating.
An hour later, one man was killed and another injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in the West Loop. The two men, 23-year-old LaVell Southern and a 24-year-old, were standing outside of Red Kiva in the 1100 block of West Randolph at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday when a black van pulled up, police said. Someone inside the van then opened fire on the men, striking them both.
Southern was shot in the back and transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said. The other man was shot in the upper left arm and also taken to Stroger Hospital. His condition is unknown. Southern, who was a college student and active in his local church, was mourned at a vigil Monday. No one is in custody for the shooting, and Area Central detectives are investigating.
Another 23-year-old man died of gunshot wounds in the West Garfield Park neighborhood at 7:45 p.m., police said.
Earlier, another shooting left a woman dead and a 34-year-old man injured in an incident in the Englewood neighborhood. The shooting happened at about 7:45 a.m. Sunday in the 7200 block of South Green Street, police said. The woman was shot in the stomach and pronounced dead on the scene. The man was shot in the leg and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in good condition.
The final deadly shooting happened around 3 a.m. Tuesday in the Kilbourn Park neighborhood. A 31-year-old man was shot in the 3300 block of North Keeler and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
Dozens of others have been wounded in non-fatal shootings across Chicago since 6 p.m. Friday:
- A 26-year-old man was found lying in the street with multiple gunshot wounds in the chest at about 7 p.m. Friday in the 5700 block of South Lowe in the Englewood neighborhood.
- A 59-year-old man was shot in the back at about 7 p.m. Friday in the 5700 block of South May in the Englewood neighborhood.
- A 20-year-old man was shot twice in the lower back at about 8:45 p.m. Friday in the 1400 block of North Linder in the North Austin neighborhood.
- Three men — ages 17, 19 and 21 — were shot at about 9:45 p.m Friday in the 6000 block of South Richmond in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood. The 17-year-old was shot in the left leg, the 19-year-old suffered a graze wound to the abdomen and the 21-year-old was shot in the left arm.
- A 20-year-old man was shot in the upper right thigh at about 11:55 p.m. Friday in the 7400 block of South Eggleston in the Englewood neighborhood.
- Three men — ages 29, 32 and 39 — were all shot in the leg at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday in the 2000 block of West Howard in the Rogers Park neighborhood.
- A 19-year-old woman was shot on her left side at about 1:55 a.m. Saturday in the 700 block of West 66th Place in the Englewood neighborhood.
- A 15-year-old boy is in critical condition after he was shot in the neck at about 4:10 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of East 59th Street in the Washington Park neighborhood.
- An 18-year-old man was shot in the head at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday in the 2100 block of North Laramie in the Belmont Cragin neighborhood.
- Two men, ages 19 and 27, were shot at about 9 p.m. Saturday in the 2500 block of West Potomac in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. Both were shot in the leg.
- A 14-year-old old was shot in the right thigh at about 10 p.m. Saturday in the 4000 block of West Potomac in the Humboldt Park neighborhood.
- A 17-year-old boy was shot in the lower back at about 1:10 a.m. Sunday in the 4700 block of South State Street in the Grand Boulevard neighborhood.
- Three people were shot at about 3:35 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of North Latrobe in the Austin neighborhood. A 29-year-old woman suffered a graze would to the leg, a 30-year-old man was shot in the chest and back, and a 24-year-old woman was shot in the left pinkie finger.
- A 22-year-old man was shot in the leg at about 12:40 p.m. Sunday in the 4300 block of South Wabash in the Grand Boulevard neighborhood.
- An 18-year-old man was shot in the leg, back and hip at about 8:20 p.m. in the 4400 block of South Mozart in the Brighton Park neighborhood.
- A 25-year-old man was shot in both legs at about 8:45 p.m. Sunday in the 7300 block of South Damen in the West Englewood neighborhood.
- A 15-year-old boy was shot multiple times at about 9:20 p.m. Sunday in the 1300 block of South Racine in the University Village neighborhood.
- A 25-year-old man was shot in the chest, left arm and both legs at about 12:55 a.m. Monday in the 7500 block of South South Shore in the South Shore neighborhood.
- A 38-year-old man was shot in the back of the head and left shoulder at about 2 a.m. Monday in the 3000 block of North Kilpatrick in the Belmong Cragin neighborhood.
- A 25-year-old man was shot in both feet at about 10:10 a.m. Monday in the 5600 block of South Wells in the Englewood neighborhood.
- A 27-year-old man was shot in the chest at about 10:30 a.m. Monday in the 7900 block of South Carpenter in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood.
- A 45-year-old woman was shot in the right hip at a bout 11:45 a.m. Monday in the 2000 block of East 71st Street in the South Shore neighborhood.
- A 17-year-old boy suffered a gunshot wound to the leg in the 11300 block of South Throop Street at 2:45 p.m. in the Morgan Park neighborhood on the Far South Side.
- At that same time of 2:45 p.m. Monday in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood, a 34-year-old man was shot in the chest in the 2500 block of West 71st Street. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in serious condition, according to police.
- A man was critically wounded in a shooting at about 7:45 p.m. Monday in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. The man — whose exact age was not immediately known — was shot several times in the chest in the 3100 block of 5th Avenue, police said.
- A 25-year-old man was shot in the knee at 8 p.m. in the Riverdale neighborhood on the far South Side Monday night.
- A 31-year-old man was shot in the leg at about 10:30 p.m. in Little Village on the city’s Southwest Side. Police say he was walking in the 2200 block of South Spaulding when he heard shots ring out and felt the gunshot in his lower leg.
- Two men were shot in the Back of the Yards neighborhood about 11:25 p.m. Monday night. Police said the men — ages 39 and 41 — were walking in the 4700 block of South Ada when two gunmen opened fire. The 39-year-old man was shot in the shoulder, leg and back. The 41-year-old was shot in the ear and leg, police said.
- A 22-year-old man was shot in a drive-by shooting the 1300 block of West 110th Street just 15 minutes later at about 11:40 p.m. in the city's Morgan Park neighborhood. He told police someone randomly fired shots from a passing car.
- An 18-year-old man was shot just after midnight Tuesday in the North Austin neighborhood. He was standing in the 5300 block of West North Avenue when three people walked and started shooting, police said. He suffered gunshot wounds to the ankle.
- The weekend's last non-fatal shooting happened just before 3 a.m. Tuesday in Englewood, when four people were wounded by bullets by someone who started shooting at them out of nowhere while they sat in the backyard of a home, police said.