A Chicago hospital was named among the best 20 hospitals in the country by U.S. News and World Report.
The list of the 2019-2020 Best Hospitals was released late Monday, ranking Chicago’s Northwestern Memorial Hospital among the top.
Northwestern made the top 20 “honor roll” list at no. 10 out of nearly 5,000 evaluated.
Hospitals were ranked on 16 specialty areas, including categories like cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, gastronterology, geriatrics and more. Northwestern ranked high for neurology and neurosurgery, cardiology and heart surgery, geriatrics and cancer, according to the report.
"We’re proud to once again have our hospitals recognized among the best in the country," Dean M. Harrison, president and chief executive officer of Northwestern Memorial HealthCare, said in a statement. "While these rankings are assigned to individual hospitals, this recognition reflects the relentless commitment, dedication and expertise of Northwestern Medicine’s physicians, nurses and staff across our health system who partner to provide our patients with world-class care each and every day while working to advance medicine and find tomorrow’s treatments."
The top hospital in the ranking was Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota followed by Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
In Illinois, the top 10 hospital listed were:
1. Northwestern Memorial Hospital
2. University of Chicago Medical Center
3. NorthShore University HealthSystem-Metro Chicago in Evanston
4. Rush University Medical Center
5. Loyola University Medical Center
6. Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital
7. OSF Healthcare St. Francis Medical Center
8. Advocate Christ Medical Center
9. Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
10. Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital