One person has died and at least 28 others were injured so far in shootings across Chicago this Halloween weekend.
Around 7 p.m. Saturday, a 55-year-old man was shot to death inside a business in the 2700 block of West 51st Street in the Gage Park neighborhood, according to police.
The shooting happened after the victim allegedly tried to rob the business while armed, police said. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
Among those injured in shootings were two 15-year-olds, a boy and a girl, who were injured in separate shootings early Saturday morning. At about 12:15 a.m., the boy was walking on the sidewalk in the 2900 block of South State Street in the Bronzeville neighborhood when someone inside a silver SUV fired shots in his direction, according to Chicago Police News Affairs.
The boy was struck in both of his legs and transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital in stable condition, police said. No one is in custody for the shooting, and Area Central detectives are investigating.
A police source said the teen boy is a self-admitted gang member.
About three hours later, a 15-year-old girl also suffered gunshot wounds to both of her legs during a shooting in the Englewood neighborhood. The girl was standing on a porch with a group of people in the 6700 block of South Parnell when a man walked by and shot her, police said.
The girl was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where her condition stabilized, according to police. Nobody is in custody for the shooting, and Area South detectives are investigating.
In another incident early Saturday morning, a 37-year-old man driving a car in the Austin neighborhood was shot by another driver who then stole his car, police said.
The victim told police he was driving in the 600 block of North Lockwood at about 3:30 a.m. when the car behind him bumped into his car. He then got out of his car to assess the damage when the other driver exited his car with a gun. The offender then shot the man in the neck and stole his car, police said.
The victim was taken to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, where his condition stabilized, according to police. Nobody is in custody for the incident, and Area North detectives are investigating.
A police source said the victim is a documented gang member, but the motive of the shooting and theft is unclear.
Several others were injured in shootings across the city since Friday evening:
- A 30-year-old man was shot in the chest at about 5:40 p.m. Friday in the 2700 block of West Cermak Road in the South Lawndale neighborhood.
- An 18-year-old man was shot in the torso and chest at about 5:40 p.m. Friday in the 4400 block of South Marshfield in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.
- A 66-year-old man was shot in in his side at about 6:10 p.m. Friday in the 11300 block of South Racine Avenue in the Morgan Park neighborhood.
- A 31-year-old man was shot in the shoulder at a bout 7 p.m. Friday in the 1500 block of South Pulaski in the North Lawndale neighborhood.
- A 28-year-old man was shot in the left arm at about 9:30 p.m. Friday in the 8100 block of South Throop in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood.
- A 19-year-old man was shot in the lower back at about 9:55 p.m. in the 1100 block of North Central Park in the Humboldt Park neighborhood.
- An 18-year-old man was shot in the right thigh at about 10:10 p.m. Friday in the 5600 block of South Shields in the Englewood neighborhood.
- A 21-year-old woman was shot in the back at about 10:30 p.m. Friday in the 3100 block of West Monroe in the East Garfield Park neighborhood.
- A 42-year-old man was shot in the right shoulder and left forearm at about 3:30 a.m. Saturday in the 6300 block of South Hoyne in the West Englewood neighborhood.
- A 31-year-old man was shot in the right hand, left arm and abdomen during a domestic altercation at about 4:12 a.m. Saturday in the 11700 block of South Church in the Morgan Park neighborhood.
- A 62-year-old man was shot in the back at about 5:15 a.m. Saturday in the 2100 block of South Oakley in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood.
- A man in his 40s was shot at about 5:30 a.m. Saturday in the 3100 block of South Pulaski in the Little Village neighborhood.
- A 23-year-old man was shot in the back and left shoulder at about 10:25 p.m. Saturday in the 5700 block of West Fullerton in the Belmont Cragin neighborhood.
- Three men in their 20s were shot at about 11 p.m. Saturday in the 9000 block of South Greenwood in the Burnside neighborhood. The victims were listed as a 23-year-old man, who was shot in the right arm and back; a 21-year-old man, who was shot in the left cheek, right eye and buttocks; and a 24-year-old man was shot in the left shoulder.
- A 26-year-old man was shot in the hip at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday in the 4900 block of South Princeton in the Fuller Park neighborhood.
- A man whose age was unknown was shot in the chest at about 8:35 a.m. Sunday in the 4100 block of West 31st Street in the Little Village neighborhood.
- A 23-year-old man was shot in the torso at about 12:35 p.m. Sunday in the 500 block of South Princeton in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood.
- A 10-year-old boy was shot in the leg in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood on the South Side Sunday afternoon. A 2:35 p.m., a man on a bicycle fired shots at a group of men in the 7600 block of South Parnell Avenue when the boy was shot. The man fled from the scene, police said.
- A 23-year-old man was shot in the backyard of a South Side home in the 4900 block of South Champlain Avenue at about 4:15 p.m. Sunday. The man suffered a gunshot wound to the back, and took himself to Provident Hospital of Cook County where his condition was stabilized, police said.
- A 26-year-old man was shot in both legs in the Austin neighborhood at about 8:50 p.m. Sunday. He was in the 5400 block of West Van Buren Street when a car approached him, someone exited the vehicle, fired multiple shots and drove off, police said.
- A 19-year-old man was on the sidewalk in the 8700 block of South Honore Street at 7:11 p.m. Sunday when a car drove by and someone inside fired shots before leaving the area. The man heard the shots and felt pain, police said. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition, police said.
- A 23-year-old woman was shot in the leg in Humboldt Park on the city’s West Side in the early hours of Monday morning. She was standing in front of her boyfriend’s car at 1:05 a.m in the 1400 block of West Lawndale Avenue when a male approached and opened fire, Chicago Police said.