‘Full Recovery' Expected for Hossa

Forward knocked to the ice in first period by Coyote's Raffi Torres

UPDATE: Torres suspended indefinitely...

Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa was released from Northwestern Memorial Hospital late Tuesday night after being rushed off the ice on a stretcher.

"After initial evaluation on the ice he was taken by ambulance to the hospital for further testing, which yielded encouraging results. He has been released from the hospital and we are monitoring him closely at home. We anticipate a full recovery in a timetable yet to be determined," team physician Dr. Michael Terry said in a statement.

Hossa was injured after being hit by Phoenix's Raffi Torres in the first period of Game 3 of their opening-round playoff series on Tuesday night. The Coyotes went on to win in overtime and now lead the series 2-1.

Hossa was near the boards at center ice and had just turned and passed the puck when Torres left his skates and delivered a late shot with his shoulder that knocked Hossa to the ice. Torres, who had run-ins with the Blackhawks previously while with Vancouver, wasn't penalized.

"Brutal hit. I saw the whole play. One hundred miles an hour, no puck, intended hit head to head. It was a brutal hit. I can't believe four guys missed it," Coach Joel Quenneville told NBC Sports. "It makes me sick."

Hossa was down for about five minutes as medical personnel rushed immediately to his side, and then was taken off of the ice.

"It's tough. You saw the hit," Patrick Kane said between periods. "I think it'll be reviewed by the league. It's just tough you don't get a power play out of it. Hossa's a big part of our team so someone's going to have to step up and fill the void."

Seconds after the hit, Chicago's Brandon Bolig was given a 10-minute misconduct for roughing.

Last season, in Game 3 of the first-round series, Torres delivered a hard hit to Brent Seabrook that injured the Chicago defenseman.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Contact Us