Cop Shot by Man Who Carjacked 2 Drivers - NBC Chicago

Cop Shot by Man Who Carjacked 2 Drivers

Police questioning "person of interest"



    Cop Shot by Man Who Carjacked 2 Drivers
    FILE IMAGE: One man carjacked two people and shot a Chicago police officer Saturday night, police said.

    Police are questioning a man in connection with the shooting of a Chicago police officer and two carjackings Saturday night. 

    The injured officer was treated for a gunshot wound and released from a local hospital. 

    "Most important, the officer is going to be fine," Police Superintendent Jody Weis said Sunday.

    It all started when a man carjacked a vehicle around 3 p.m. on the Dan Ryan Expressway near 47th Street, according to an Illinois State Police District Chicago trooper.

    A description of the vehicle was broadcast following the carjacking, and State Police were already looking for the vehicle when it crashed hours later in the 2500 block of East 75th Street, State police said.

    Moments after the carjacker left the scene of the crash, he opened fire on two officers, striking one of them in the vest and shoulder, police said.  That shooting happened around 6:50 p.m. in the 7400 block of South South Shore Drive, about a half mile from where the stolen car was crashed, police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala said.

    The injured officer's partner was not struck and returned fire, police said.

    The gunman ran from the officers, and it was not immediately known if he was struck, police said. He then carjacked another vehicle -- a 2002 gold Saturn -- from an elderly woman and escaped.

    Police later spotted that Saturn outside a bar in Chicago Heights, and took the man into custody.  Weis said two weapons were recovered.

    The officer who was shot was taken in good condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said.  The 43-year-old officer -- a 10-year Chicago Police Department veteran -- was later released from the hospital, police said early Sunday.

    Weis said he expects charges will be filed within the next 48 hours.