Watch: Live funeral coverage begins at noon Thursday on NBC 5, NBCChicago.com and on the NBC 5 mobile app.
After two days of public visitation, a funeral Mass for Cardinal Francis George takes place Thursday at Holy Name Cathedral, at 735 N. State Street.
George died Friday, at the age of 78, after a years-long battle with cancer.
The Mass begins at noon at Holy Name Cathedral, at 735 N. State Street.
He will be buried in the family plot at All Saints Catholic Cemetery & Mausoleum, at 700 North River Road in Des Plaines, where his parents, Francis J. and Julia R. George, were laid to rest.
The schedule, as announced by the Chicago Archdiocese:
Wednesday, April 22
- 7 to 9:30 a.m. -- Visitation (Open to the Public)
- 10:30 a.m. -- Interfaith Service (Open to the Public)
- 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. -- Visitation (Open to the Public)
- 7:30 p.m. -- Prayer Vigil for Women and Men Religious, Deacons and their Wives (Attendance by Ticket Only)
- 9 p.m. -- Wednesday, April 22 until 7:30 a.m. Thursday, April 23 -- Visitation and All Night Vigil Conducted by Lay Ecclesial Movements (Open to the Public)
Thursday, April 23
- 7:30 a.m. -- Prayer Service (Open to the Public)
- 8 a.m. -- Holy Name Cathedral Closed for Funeral Mass Preparation
- 11 a.m. -- Holy Name Cathedral Doors Open for Funeral Mass (Attendance by Ticket Only)
- 12 p.m. -- Funeral Mass (Attendance by Ticket Only)
In lieu of flowers, the archdiocese requested donations to George's favorite charities: Priests Retirement and Mutual Aid Association and To Teach Who Christ