Sex in the Bathhouse, Death in the Pool

Family of Calumet Township trustee Carlos Salgado files wrongful death suit

The family of a Calumet Township official who drowned in a public pool isn't buying the official claim that there was no foul play involved.

Carlos Salgado, 26, was found at the bottom of the Blue Island Park District's Memorial Park pool on June 26, hours after a late-night party attended by employees and guests from Calumet Township and the park district.

"At this time, it looks like there was no foul play," Blue Island Police Chief Douglas Hoglund said last month. "It was a tragic accident."

But an 85-page police report, obtained by NBC Chicago with the assistance of the Southtown Star, says the after-hours party included naked women, copious amounts of booze and sex in a public bathhouse.  It also includes a claim that Salgado was making some of the guests uncomfortable.

Township site coordinator Cassidy Britton was "completely nude and was trying to convince all of the other subjects to get naked," the police report states.  

Britton didn't comment on Tuesday, but police said she told them that she was highly intoxicated and probably the most intoxicated of the group.

A woman by the name of Shelly, who is a friend of a township secretary, is noted as saying that Salgado "was creeping her out." 

Shelly was one of at least three women who were topless, the report says, and at one point asked another man if he could ask Salgado to leave the party.

Park District President and Calumet Township clerk Fred Bilotto later found Shelly having sex with a man named Adam, who she'd met earlier that evening, the report says.

No one in the more than a dozen witness interviews can pinpoint what exactly happened to Salgado except that he was there, was drinking and flirting, playing water polo and could not swim.

Salgado's brother, Miguel Salgado, believes his brother's death is being "swept under the rug" to protect the reputations of the public officials.

The family has sued Bilotto and the city of Blue Island.

Blue Island Mayor Don Peloquin said the incident is "very embarrassing for the city," but has asked a judge to have the city removed from the suit.

"The city had no jurisdiction over the site or the after hours party and from my reading of the police report none of our employees was involved," he said. 

Police officers in attendance were off-duty at the time, having been contracted by the park district to handle security at the Blue Island Fest earlier in the evening, Peloquin said.

Contact Us