Blackhawks Beat Blues, Even Series at 1-1

It took two video reviews and fending off a late push, but the Chicago Blackhawks beat the St. Louis Blues 3-2 on Friday night.

Andrew Shaw scored the go-ahead with about four minutes remaining in regulation, and after an official's review and a coach's challenge by the Blues, the goal stood, and the Hawks ended up with the victory.  

Shaw's goal technically wasn't the game-winner however, as Artemi Panarin's empty netter provided the Hawks with their margin of victory after a Kevin Shattenkirk goal with one second left in regulation. 

Technicalities aside, the victory evens up the best-of-seven series at a game apiece, with Game 3 set for Sunday afternoon at the United Center. 

After an uneventful first period, the second period got off to a rollicking start. Patrick Kane had a breakaway attempt early on in the frame that was broken up by a backchecking Jay Bouwmeester, and the Hawks had a few decent chances on a power play a few minutes later. Both Andrew Shaw and Marian Hossa had rebound opportunities, and Jonathan Toews flipped a high backhand shot on net, but everything was repelled by Brian Elliott.

That was only the beginning of the tsunami of scoring chances. Corey Crawford made his first huge save of the game on a drive by David Backes, as the goaltender came way out of his crease to stop the shot. At the other end, Artemi Panarin beat Elliott with a slap shot, but the puck bounced off the crossbar.

Tomas Fleischmann got a chance a few minutes later on a semi-breakaway, with Shaw springing him with a backhanded pass. Jori Lethera was stopped by Crawford on a 2-on-1 break later in the frame, and Panarin was robbed again by a stellar Elliott save.

Finally, a bad turnover by the Blackhawks resulted in a St. Louis goal. Michal Rozsival tried to skate the puck back into traffic, and after he was stripped of the puck, it found its way to Vladimir Tarasenko for the one-timer goal in the slot to give the Blues a 1-0 lead.

With just three seconds remaining in the period, the Blackhawks finally got on the board in the series. Toews won a face-off after an icing, and Kane pushed a pass back to the point. Duncan Keith loaded up and fired a slap shot that went in between two Blues defenders and over Elliott’s shoulder to knot things up at 1-1 with 20 minutes to play. 

The third period got off to a similarly crazy start to the second period. Kane was stopped on a breakaway early in the frame, and Crawford robbed Ryan Reaves at the other end. Keith also made a huge play to rob Alex Pietrangelo of a shot on goal, helping out Crawford in a big spot. 

With about eight minutes to go in regulation, the Blues appeared to take the lead as Tarasenko potted a goal off a pass from Lehtera. The Blackhawks challenged the call on the ice however, and the officials ruled that Lehtera entered the offensive zone before the puck did, negating the goal and keeping things tied up. 

A few minutes later, the Blackhawks had their own date with the replay officials, and this time the outcome was in their favor. On a power play, Shaw drove hard to the net to grab a rebound, and he pounded the puck home to give the Hawks the lead.

After an official's review and a St. Louis challenge, the call on the ice stood, leaving the Blackhawks ahead 2-1 with four minutes to go. 

The Blackhawks got an empty net goal from Panarin in the closing minutes, and despite a Kevin Shattenkirk goal with a second left, the Hawks still won the game. 

Puck drop is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Sunday afternoon, with the game slated to air on NBC. 

Contact Us