Eagles Beat Bears 29-14

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

The Chicago Bears had a rough night at the office on Monday night, as Jay Cutler suffered a hand injury and the team lost 29-14 to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Ryan Mathews rushed for two touchdowns in the game as the Eagles went to 2-0 on the season.

Cutler, Lamarr Houston, and numerous other players left the game with injuries for the Bears, who fall to 0-2 on the season. Jeremy Langford had a rushing touchdown, and Eddie Royal picked up a 65-yard punt return touchdown in the loss.

The Bears went three and out on their first drive of the game, with Jay Cutler getting sacked on the team's second play from scrimmage. Jeremy Langford was also held to no gain on his lone run of the possession, and an incomplete pass finished off the drive.

The Eagles then came onto the field and immediately went to work against the Bears' defense. Rookie quarterback Carson Wentz completed eight of nine passes for 45 yards, but thanks to a stellar play by Bryce Callahan and good pass coverage on third and goal, the Eagles had to settle for a Caleb Sturgis field goal that gave them a 3-0 lead early in the game.

On their second drive of the game, the Bears' offense got a boost from several great passes from Cutler. He found Eddie Royal on a screen pass for a first down, and then got first down catches from Alshon Jeffery and Zach Miller to get the Bears into the red zone.

Unfortunately for the Bears, that's where their drive ended. After the Bears failed to convert on a 3rd-and-5, kicker Connor Barth drilled a 31-yard kick off the left upright to keep the Eagles ahead.

In the second quarter, the Bears' offense picked up where it had left off in the previous frame and burned the Eagles' defense. Jeffery made a huge catch down the field on a long throw by Cutler, and after a pass interference penalty set the Bears up at the 1-yard line Jeremy Langford punched in a touchdown run to give Chicago a 7-3 lead.

As the second quarter wore on, the Eagles' offense began finding holes in the Bears' defense, but Chicago was able to keep the damage to a minimum. Sturgis was able knock through two more field goals, including a 53-yarder with just three seconds to go in the half, and the Eagles grabbed a 9-7 lead at the break.

Injuries began to ravage the Bears in the third quarter, as Adrian Amos, Lamarr Houston, and Bryce Callahan were all ruled out for the game. The defensive injuries ended up costing Chicago as the Eagles went on a long scoring drive that culminated with a touchdown run by Ryan Mathews that made it a 16-7 game.

Things went from bad to worse for the Bears as Cutler threw an interception into the waiting arms of Nigel Bradham. Trey Burton then caught his first career touchdown pass a few plays later, and the Bears found themselves down 22-7.

To make matters even worse, Cutler ended up leaving the game after throwing the interception. The quarterback appeared to injure his hand on a sack earlier in the quarter, and he was taken to the locker room for evaluation.

The Eagles continued to pour on the punishment as they extended their lead early in the fourth quarter. On a fourth-and-goal play, Matthews scampered in for a one-yard touchdown on a sweep to the left to put Philadelphia ahead 29-7.

With about five minutes to go in the game, the Bears gave their fans something to be optimistic about, as they recorded the first punt return touchdown in the NFL this season. Eddie Royal did the honors as he scampered in for a 65-yard score, making it a 29-14 game.

Contact Us