Washington Beats Chicago 24-21 at Soggy Soldier Field

Gould misses 50-yard field goal that would've tied the game

For the second straight week, the Chicago Bears allowed a team to win their first road game of the season as the Washington Redskins scored a 24-21 victory at Soldier Field on Sunday. 

Washington got the ball to start out the game, and they immediately marched down the field on a 15-play, 80 yard scoring drive. Rashad Ross made a big play on a third and long to gain 17 yards against Kyle Fuller, and after Washington got into the red zone, Kirk Cousins found Jordan Reed for a play that got the team down to the half-yard line.

Alfred Morris punched it in from there, and Washington took a 7-0 lead with about six and a half minutes to go in the first quarter. 

After the Bears failed to do anything on their opening drive, Washington upped the ante with a 93-yard scoring drive to extend their lead. Fuller made another coverage mistake and Tracy Porter committed a pass interference penalty to allow Washington to march down the field, and Cousins ultimately finished the possession off on a zone-read run into the end zone to give his team a 14-0 cushion. 

The Bears' offense continued to sputter throughout the second quarter, but they finally got their act together just before halftime. Jay Cutler found Deonte Thompson for a 36-yard completion to get the Bears into the red zone, and after an unsuccessful pass attempt to Jeremy Langford Cutler was able to find Alshon Jeffery for a 20-yard touchdown to make it a 14-7 game with 18 seconds to go in the first half. 

As the second half got underway, the Bears' offense couldn't score, and Washington's took advantage. Another long pass to Reed set things up, and on a third and goal play Cousins was able to whip a pass into his tight end's hands for a touchdown to put the Bears in a 21-7 hole. 

The Bears were able to respond with a counter-punch of their own, and for the first time all season they were able to score a third quarter touchdown. Jeremy Langford paced the drive with some big runs, and after a long completion to Jeffery, the Bears got on the board again as Zach Miller caught a touchdown pass to make it 21-14 with less than four minutes to go in the quarter. 

On Washington's next possession, the Bears were able to make a big play on defense, and they got the ball back. Cousins tried to find Pierre Garcon on a route toward the sideline, but he badly underthrew the ball and Fuller made his second interception of the season to put the Bears in prime scoring position. 

A few plays later, the Bears just did that. Matt Forte came to play on the drive, plowing through the middle of the field to get down near the goal line, and the veteran running back finished the drive off as he scored to knot things up at 21-21 with about a minute and a half to go in the third quarter. 

Washington responded quickly with a scoring drive of their own, and although the Bears' secondary was able to keep them short of a first down in their end of the field, Dustin Hopkins booted through a long field goal to put his team back in front by a 24-21 margin. 

The Bears had several chances late in the game to tie things up or to get ahead, but they were unable to do so. Cutler found Jeffery down the field for a 51-yard gain to get into field goal range, but after a series of unsuccessful passing plays, Robbie Gould blasted a 50-yard field goal attempt wide, and the Bears went down in defeat for the second straight week. 

Contact Us