Chicago Bears

Chicago Bears Fall to Indianapolis Colts, 29-23

After Sunday's loss, the Bears are now 1-4 on the season

Despite racking up over 500 total yards of offense, the Chicago Bears still couldn't figure out a way to beat the Indianapolis Colts as they fell 29-23 and fell to 1-4 on the season.

The Bears' offense did some great work on their opening drive, effectively mixing run and pass plays to get Jordan Howard and Eddie Royal involved early. Unfortunately for Howard, he also picked up a facemasking penalty near the goal line, and the Bears had to settle for a Connor Barth field goal to give the team a 3-0 lead.

Indianapolis responded with a good drive of their own, with Andrew Luck finding a running lane for one first down and Frank Gore doing likewise on a long gain. Eventually the Bears were able to slow the Colts down just past midfield, and Adam Vinatieri knocked through a lengthy 54-yard field goal to knot things up at 3-3.

Chicago's defense continued to struggle against Indianapolis' offense, and the Colts moved ahead on the scoreboard. On a 4th-and-goal play, the Colts came out of the I-formation and found Dwayne Allen wide open in the back of the end zone for an easy touchdown and a 10-3 lead.

After the two teams exchanged field goals, the Bears rebounded nicely late in the first half. Howard reeled off a 57-yard run to get the Bears within striking distance, and Cameron Meredith finished off the drive with a gorgeous leaping catch to tie the game up at 13-13.

The Colts got field goals at the end of the first half and at the beginning of the second half, and the Bears had a tough time keeping pace. Barth missed a 49-yard field goal after missing another one that was negated by a penalty, but he did manage to chip in a short one late in the third quarter to make it a 19-16 game.

In the fourth quarter, the Bears' offense got into a nice groove once again thanks to Howard, and the rookie running back gave his team the lead. Standing wide open in the middle of the field, Howard corralled a pass from Brian Hoyer and scampered all the way to the end zone to make it a 23-19 game about halfway through the quarter.

The Colts responded with a scoring drive of their own, as Luck found T.Y. Hilton wide open in the end zone to put Indianapolis ahead 26-23 with 3:43 remaining in the contest.

After a Vinatieri field goal, the Bears quickly moved down the field, but once again penalties derailed them. Bobby Massie was whistled for a holding penalty, and the Bears turned the ball over on downs to give the Colts the ball.

The Bears will look to turn things around next week when they welcome the Jacksonville Jaguars to Soldier Field.

Contact Us