Bears Beat Chargers 22-19 in Comeback Thriller

Getty Images

The Chicago Bears trailed for nearly the entire game on Monday night, but a touchdown pass to Zach Miller gave them a 22-19 comeback victory over the San Diego Chargers. 

The Bears got the ball first to start the game, and although they got some big plays early from Marc Mariani and Martellus Bennett, they were unable to score. The drive stalled out when Alshon Jeffery missed out on a surefire touchdown catch in the end zone, and Robbie Gould shanked his field goal attempt left to keep the game scoreless. 

Unfortunately for Jay Cutler and the offense, their defense was unable to pick them up. Philip Rivers was perfect on the opening drive, and his finishing flourish came as he found Danny Woodhead wide open in the end zone to give San Diego a 7-0 lead eight minutes into the game. 

On their second drive, the Bears moved the ball down the field once again, with Jeremy Langford making an incredible diving catch to gain 32 yards, but they once again failed to score. This time it was a Cutler fumble that ended the drive, as Melvin Ingram beat Charles Leno Jr. off the line and stripped the ball out to give the Chargers possession.

As the second quarter got underway, the Bears got the ball back off of a Dontrelle Inman fumble, but it was San Diego that managed to score next. On a miscommunication with Jeffery, Cutler threw an interception right into Jason Verrett's hands, and the Chargers cornerback sprinted to the end zone for a touchdown and a 13-0 lead. 

Undaunted, the Bears stormed back onto the field and scored to get back in the game. Cutler found Jeffery for a 47-yard competion to get the drive started, and after the receiver got to the 1-yard line a few plays later, Martellus Bennett finished the drive with a touchdown catch to trim the lead to 13-7. 

Neither team was able to score on their next possession, but the Chargers managed to add to their lead just before halftime. Jarvis Jenkins committed a roughing the passer penalty to help San Diego down the field, and Josh Lambo booted through a short field goal to make it 16-7 at halftime. 

After the Chargers went three-and-out to start the third quarter, the Bears moved into Chargers territory yet again. Marquess Wilson and Langford each made big plays to start the drive, and Jeffery hauled in yet another impressive catch to set the Bears up in the red zone. 

Ultimately, Gould was unable to get the job done, as his 34-yard field goal attempt bounced off the upright and stayed out, leaving San Diego's lead at nine points. 

After the Chargers had to punt the ball away, the Bears embarked on a drive that lasted over eight minutes and covered 93 yards to get back into the game. Cutler threw for 85 yards on the drive, and Langford finished it off as he dove over the goal line on a one yard touchdown run to make it a 16-14 game. 

The Chargers nearly scored a key insurance touchdown, but Antonio Gates' grab was negated by a penalty. They had to settle for a field goal, and Lambo knocked through a 22-yard kick to make it a 19-14 game. 

The Bears responded to the drive by unleashing yet another solid possession, and they scored an incredible touchdown to seize a late lead. After Cutler found Jeffery for several first downs, he threw a deep ball to tight end Zach Miller, and the big man made an excellent diving catch to help give the Bears a 22-19 lead with just 3:19 to go in the game. 

 The Chargers started moving the ball down the field, but Lamarr Houston picked up sacks on consecutive plays, and when Rivers' fourth down pass fell incomplete, the Bears secured their third victory of the season. 

The Bears will look to pull within a game of the .500 mark on Sunday when they take on the St. Louis Rams. 

Contact Us