Willie Young

Bears Drop to 0-3 After Being Shut Out by Seattle

For the first time in 13 years, the Chicago Bears were held scoreless in a game as they lost by a score of 26-0 to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. 

The Bears' loss drops them to 0-3 on the season, the first time they have hit that mark in a season since 2003. 

The game got off to a sluggish start for both teams as the Seahawks forced a three-and-out on Chicago's first drive, and Jarvis Jenkins sacked Russell Wilson to put an end to Seattle's first possession. The Bears tried a couple of different running plays to break through the suffocating Seahawks pressure, but they coudln't get things going as they were forced to punt again. 

On the ensuing punt, the Seahawks used some trickery as they faked a return from the far side of the field, but Richard Sherman caught the ball on the near side and ran it all the way down into the red zone. The Bears were able to stop Russell Wilson and the Seahawks on the possession, but Steven Hauschka drilled a field goal to make it a 3-0 game late in the first quarter. 

The Bears continued to eat up clock in the second quarter, but their offense failed to capitalize on their chances, and bad luck befell the team as well. On a Pat O'Donnell punt, the ball appeared to bounce off the leg of a Seattle special teams player, but a video review allowed the Seahawks to keep the ball and prevent the Bears from getting a golden scoring chance. 

Late in the second quarter, the Seahawks got the ball down to the Chicago three-yard line, but the Bears were able to keep them from getting into the end zone. Alan Ball made two huge plays to deny Alan Ball and Chris Matthews from scoring touchdowns, and even though Hauschka knocked through a short field goal, the Bears were satisfied in keeping the score at 6-0 heading into the intermission. 

Any hope the Bears had of staging a comeback took a huge hit as the third quarter began as the Seahawks scored on a long kickoff return for a touchdown. Tyler Lockett did the honors for the Seahawks as he found a seam and ran 105 yards for the score to give Seattle a 13-0 lead. 

The Bears' offense continued to struggle to move the football, and late in the quarter the Seahawks scored again. Russell Wilson found Jimmy Graham in one-on-one coverage over the middle of the field, and the tight end did the rest as he stormed his way into the end zone to make it a 20-0 game. 

Seattle ended up adding two more field goals in the fourth quarter of the game, and the Bears' offense ended up punting on all 10 of its possessions in the game as they dropped to 0-3. 

The Bears will play the Oakland Raiders in Week 4 as they look to get into the win column this season. 

Contact Us