The cruise, which takes riders down the Chicago River with an architectural guide, received the rank based on 2017 TripAdvisor booking data. It was only beat out by a Vatican skip-the-line tour.
The Architecture River Cruise was one of only two American attractions in the world’s most popular experiences list; the other was Empire State Building tickets, ranked number eight.
Historical and heritage tours are the fastest-growing attractions in both American and global travellers, according to TripAdvisor’s report.
The full top 10 list of the most popular global attractions:
- Skip the line: Vatican Museums, St. Peter's, Sistine Chapel
- Chicago Architecture River Cruise
- Skip the line: Anienct Rome and Colosseum Half-Day Walking Tour
- Rome Hop-On, Hop-Off Sightseeing Tour
- Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada Familia Tour
- Eiffel Tower Summit: Priority access with host
- Warner Bros Studios: The Making of Harry Potter with Luxury Round-Trip Transport from London
- Empire State Building Tickets
- Murano, Burano and Torcello half-day sightseeing tour
- Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour