Every holiday season, grinches are reported stealing packages from doorsteps and lobbies across the country.
With holiday shopping about to ramp up, it's important to know how to protect your items.
Chicago police say there are ways to help keep your packages safe and they've offered these seven tips:
1. Install a camera. It will deter most thefts, which are crimes of opportunity
2. Ask for a tracking number and try to be at home
3. Better yet, schedule your delivery for when you are home
4. Request a signature for delivery
5. Request your package be placed in a more secluded spot
6. Have items delivered to work or a trusted neighbor
7. Have your order be delivered to the retail store or a locker for pick-up