Ten Shot, Two Killed in City Violence - NBC Chicago

Ten Shot, Two Killed in City Violence

Police report 10 shootings in less than 24 hours



    Ten Shot, Two Killed in City Violence
    Police say that 10 people were shot since noon on Thursday.

    Chicago Police are investigating 10 shootings across the city, two of which were deadly.

    Two men were killed in a drive-by shooting in the Princeton Park neighborhood on the 9000 block of South Racine Avenue early Thursday evening. Wardrick Watts, 26, and Dejuan Dennis, 20, were both declared dead on the scene, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.

    Later that night, a 19-year-old man was shot in the 100 block of West 103rd Place by someone who approached him on a bicycle, police said. He was last listed in good condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center.

    Five more people were shot in the West Englewood neighborhood at about 10:45 p.m. Thursday night on the 6300 block of South Wolcott Avenue, said police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer.

    Two 16-year-old girls were among the five shot, according to police. One , who was shot in the thigh and groin area, is in serious condition at John Stroger Hospital, police said. The other girl was treated at the scene for a grazed wound on her arm, said police. Additionally, police say a 19-year-old man, who was shot in the back was taken to John Stroger Jr. Hospital in serious condition. Two 21-year-old men, one shot in the leg and the other shot in the finger, were taken to St. Bernard Hospital in good condition, police said.

    Police believe the shooting may be gang related.  Authorities say all five victims were on a porch when a "known offender" started shooting at them.

    In Humbolt park a 21-year old man suffered a gunshot wound to the foot around 7:45 p.m.  Police say he was treated and released from Norweigian American Hospital.

    A 30-year old man was shot in the hands and legs while in the East Garfield Park neighborhood around noon on Thursday.  Police say he was shot in the 100 block of South Francisco Street.

    No one was in custody for any of the shootings as of Friday morning and police were still investigating each one.