Steeler Fan Says He Was Poisoned in Chicago - NBC Chicago

Steeler Fan Says He Was Poisoned in Chicago



    Steeler Fan Says He Was Poisoned in Chicago
    Zack Heddinger says he's blind now.

    A Pittsburgh Steeler fan, visiting Chicago to root on his team last September, claims he went blind after a group of Bears fans poisoned his drink.

    "I haven't been able to see. I've basically been blind for two months," Zack Heddinger told Pittsburgh's WTAE television station

    Heddinger said he and his buddies went to Kitty O’Shea’s at 720 S. Michigan following the Sept. 20 game at Soldier Field.

    The Bears won the game 17-13, which may have spurred Heddinger’s pals to engage in some competitive banter with a group of Chicago die-hards. Heddinger says he remembers the trash talk and next thing he knew he ended up at Rush University Medical Center.

    "Basically, I guess, my buddies had gotten into an altercation and they offered a drink as a peacemaker from what I understand," Heddinger said.

    After sipping the offering, Heddinger dropped.

    He was rushed to the hospital where his heart stopped four times, he says.

    "I don’t think they tried to kill me. I think they tried to hurt me, but the killing came pretty close," said Heddinger.

    Heddinger now uses oxygen treatments to help regain vision.

    Chicago police are investigating the allegations. They plan to scour footage from closed-circuit cameras inside the bar.