Brothers Sentenced in Burr Oak Cemetery Scandal - NBC Chicago

Brothers Sentenced in Burr Oak Cemetery Scandal

Two former Burr Oak Cemetery workers were convicted of desecrating human remains

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Sentencing Friday in Burr Oak Cemetery Case

    Two former Burr Oak Cemetery workers convicted of desecrating human remains are scheduled to be sentenced Friday after the brothers’ sentencing was delayed. Charlie Wojciechowski reports. (Published Friday, April 17, 2015)

    Two former Burr Oak Cemetery workers convicted of desecrating human remains were sentenced Friday, a month after the brothers’ sentencing was delayed.

    Keith Nicks was sentenced to six years and Terrence Nicks was sentenced to three years in prison.

    “These crimes shocked the conscience of all of our communities and demonstrated the cruel lengths that people will resort to for financial gain,” Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said in a statement. “We hope that these sentences will bring some measure of justice to the families of the loved ones who were so violated and betrayed by these heinous acts at Burr Oak Cemetery.”

    The brothers' lawyers said in March they needed time to respond to Cook County prosecutors’ proposal seeking a 15-year jail term for the pair.

    Burr Oak Cemetery Workers’ Sentencing Delayed

    [CHI] Burr Oak Cemetery Workers’ Sentencing Delayed
    Two Burr Oak Cemetery workers found guilty of desiccating bodies went to court Tuesday to learn their fate – but it didn’t happen. NBC Chicago’s Charlie Wojciechowski reports.
    (Published Tuesday, March 10, 2015)

    Assistant State’s Attorney Nick Trutenko previously argued that Keith and Terrence Nicks’ conduct was so “unique” in its depravity, they need to be put behind bars despite their lack of criminal backgrounds. Trutenko asked Judge Joan Margaret O’Brien to sentence the brothers to consecutive terms.

    Probation should not be considered because never before “was there such an attack on the dead,” Trutenko told O’Brien. The prosecutor also asked that Keith Nicks, 51, and his younger sibling be ordered to pay a $25,000 fine for their crimes.

    The judge continued the hearing at the Bridgeview courthouse to April 17 after defense attorneys Daniel Locallo and James Fryman said this was the first they had heard of the punishment the state was seeking and wanted time to formulate a written response.

    Earlier this year, two separate juries found the brothers guilty of participating in a scheme to illegally “double stack” graves and dig out skeletal fragments from their burial sites, trash them and resell the plots to unsuspecting families at the Alsip cemetery.

    Terrence Nicks’ wife took the stand, defending him as an “honest” church-going family man who taught her seven children “integrity.”

    “I want my husband to come home. He does not deserve to be in a jail cell,” Chandra Nicks said through tears.

    When Trutenko asked Chandra Nicks if the 44-year-old former dump-truck driver ever apologized for his actions, she said, “He doesn’t have to tell me he’s sorry for something he didn’t do.”

    Keith Nicks, who had served as the cemetery’s grounds foreman, put his arm around his younger sibling as he wept.

    Cemetery manager Carolyn Towns, 55, is serving a 12-year sentence for her role in the gruesome plot.

    Backhoe operator Maurice Dailey, 64, is awaiting trial.

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the NBC Chicago App

      Download the App

      Available for iOS and Android