3 Injured Following Shootout, Police Chase Down Dan Ryan Expressway - NBC Chicago

3 Injured Following Shootout, Police Chase Down Dan Ryan Expressway

Police closed ramps as the vehicle was chased down the expressway



    Celebrate This Holiday Season in Lively St. Charles

    Shots fired Tuesday morning in the Humboldt Park neighborhood spurred a police chase on the Dan Ryan Expressway that ended near U.S. Cellular Field and left three men injured.

    Officers patrolling the area came upon a shootout in progress near Ferdinand Street and Hamlin Avenue just before 11:30 a.m. where two groups of people were shooting at each other, according to Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden.

    When one officer called to report the shooting, a suspect from one of the cars began firing at the officer, Camden said.

    A white vehicle then fled the scene with three suspects inside and the officer followed.

    Another police car pulled alongside the suspects, and followed them along Madison Street, then onto the Eisenhower Expressway and onto the Dan Ryan Expressway. As they approached 29th Street on the Dan Ryan Expressway one of the passengers in the car pointed a 9mm handgun with an extended clip at the pursuing officers, Camden said.

    Police closed ramps as the vehicle was chased down the expressway.

    The officers fired at the offenders' car as they attempted to exit at Wentworth Avenue and the suspects then crashed into "several vehicles," bringing them to a stop. Police approached the car at West 35th Street and South Wentworth Avenue and when an offender in the back seat raised the weapon again, officers opened fire.

    The suspects attempted to flee, but officers managed to take all three into custody.

    A weapon was recovered from the offenders' vehicle, police said.

    "We don't know if the offenders did use the weapon," Camden said. "They pointed it at police several times and police took action."

    No officers were injured during the incident.

    Three ambulances were called to the scene and helicopter footage showed someone on a stretcher.

    Police said two offenders were treated at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, one of which was expected to be treated and released. Another suspect was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition.

    Jalissa Brown said her boyfriend was one of the suspects in the white vehicle.

    "I don't know what happened, I don't know," she said, visibly upset. "Anything could have happened, but the shooting, I'm pretty sure that wasn't necessary."

    Brown said she was running late for work after her car wouldn't start and her boyfriend was coming to pick her up.

    Yolanda White, a resident who lives near the location of the initial shooting, said she heard several shots while she was watching TV.

    "I heard all the commotion and I decided to come out and see what's going on," she said. "It's not an everyday thing. For the most [the area] is quiet."

    In total, three men believed to be in their 20s suffered gunshot wounds, but it was not clear if they were shot during the shootout or by police, authorities said.

    "If you point a gun at police, you are going to get shot," Camden said. "It's pretty straight forward. They are defending themselves."

    Details surrounding the initial shooting aren't clear, but the matter remains under investigation, police said.

    A red Dodge Charger with bullet holes was taped off near Ferdinand and Hamlin.

    Anyone with information should call Area North Detectives at (312) 744-8261.