Motion Filed to Drop Murder Charges in Lengthy SIU Death Case - NBC Chicago

Motion Filed to Drop Murder Charges in Lengthy SIU Death Case

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    SIU Murder Case Takes New Turn

    Charges are dropped in a story we've been following for years, as a man once convicted of murder is now free on a technicality. NBC 5's Regina Waldroup has all the details, and information on what happens next. 

    (Published Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018)

    Lovely Varughese says she met with the prosecutor last week and she was ready for this. She says everything that could go right and wrong has happened over the years with her son’s murder case.

    She thought her family’s quest for justice came to an end over the summer.

    "The minute he sat on stand and said 'and I hit him' ... that is all I needed," she said.

    In June 24-year-old Gaege Bethune was found guilty of first degree murder in the 2014 death of her son Pravin. Weeks later a judge set aside the conviction and ordered a new trial based on a language error he said was presented to the jury.

    NBC Chicago New Lawyer Says Man Only Offered a Ride to College Student

    [CHI] NBC Chicago New Lawyer Says Man Only Offered a Ride to College Student
    It was a stunning reversal for Gaege Bethune in September when Judge Mark Clarke told a shocked courtroom that he was overthrowing the jury’s first degree murder conviction in the 2014 death of Pravin Varughese. Rob Stafford reports.
    (Published Friday, Nov. 2, 2018)

    "It's basic language they use, they copy paste," Varughese said. "So how can jury get confused on one word?"

    Bethune was released on bond and a new trial has been set. But now the special prosecutor in the case has filed a motion to drop all charges against Bethune.

    "This is a horrible," Varughese said. "Such a slap on my son’s face by the so called authorities who claim they are there to deliver justice."

    Steve Greenberg is Benthune’s defense attorney.

    "There is no murder," he said. "Dismissed."

    The special prosecutor says he is still considering the next steps, which could include convening a grand jury to get another indictment.

    Conviction for Man Accused of Killing SIU Student is Vacated

    [CHI] Conviction for Man Accused of Killing SIU Student is Vacated
    The conviction for a man found guilty in the 2014 death of a Southern Illinois University student has been vacated by a judge.
    (Published Monday, Sept. 17, 2018)

    That will take some time.

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android