Man Shot in Head, 3 Officers Hospitalized in Shootout - NBC Chicago

Man Shot in Head, 3 Officers Hospitalized in Shootout



    Man Shot in Head, 3 Officers Hospitalized in Shootout
    Getty Images / Scott Olson
    A man’s body was found in a truck outside of a Kroger store on Dallas Parkway.

    A man who was allegedly pistol-whipping his wife was shot in the head by police when he fired shots during a standoff inside a home early Sunday in Maywood.

    At 1:27 a.m., Maywood police officers responded to a call from a woman who reported that she had been pistol-whipped by her husband in their home in the 2000 block of South 11th Avenue, according to a release from Police Chief Tim Curry.

    Officers began trying to negotiate with the the suspect, who is the husband of the victim. Once inside the home, Marion Brown, 40, allegedly fired a shot at police, who returned fire, the release said.

    “An officer was struck in the (bullet-resistant) vest and police returned fire’’ said Police Chief Tim Curry.

    Police said Brown was unresponsive with what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head.  He was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood in an unidentified condition, the release said.

    Curry could not say as of 1:30 p.m. if police fired the shots that hit Brown. A condition update on him was not available early Sunday afternoon.

    Two officers and a police supervisor were also taken to Loyola Hospital to be evaluated, according to the release.  The officers, who are all men, were not physically hurt, but taken to be checked out, according to Curry.


    The woman, who suffered wounds to her head, did not have life-threatening injuries.  She was also taken to Loyola, said Curry.

    No other injuries were reported and children who were inside the home before the incident occurred were taken out, according to the chief. It was not known if the youngsters are relatives.


    Curry said police have been to the home for “similar’’ incidents, but “nothing to this degree,’’ he said.

    Because of standard protocol, the Illinois State Police Public Integrity Task Force was called to review the incident, the release said.