Man Bludgeons Aunt to Death on Christmas Day: Cops - NBC Chicago

Man Bludgeons Aunt to Death on Christmas Day: Cops

Nephew, aunt argued over what kind of donuts to buy



    Man Bludgeons Aunt to Death on Christmas Day: Cops
    Anthony Rapoport

    It started with a series of disputes, and ended with a brutal beating with a baseball bat that left one woman dead on Christmas Day.

    Wilmette police say the man responsible did it because he was tired of being "nagged" by his aunt.  Now, 24-year-old Anthony Rapoport faces murder charges for the killing.

    Police said the victim, Nancee Rapoport, of 3115 Hill Lane, was involved in an ongoing series of disputes with her nephew, Anthony, which culminated in her murder.

    The disputes ranged from Anthony Rapoport hiding his aunt's cell phone to the two arguing about what type of donuts she wanted him to buy, police said.

    On Friday, December 24, Wilmette Police responded to the home based on a verbal argument between the two, a release from police said. That argument involved a disagreement on the type of donuts Nancee Rapoport wanted her nephew to purchase.

    During that incident, Anthony Rapoport was arrested when Wilmette Police discovered he had an outstanding warrant for an aggravated assault case in Skokie.

    He was held in the Wilmette p0olice lock-up overnight prior to being taken to holiday bond court on Christmas Day. He received an I-Bond on the aggravated assault charge at bond court and then returned to the home on Hill Lane, the release said.

    Wilmette Police responded again to the home later that afternoon based on a dispute in which his aunt claimed Anthony Rapoport had taken and hidden her cellular phone. He denied taking the phone but a police report was generated.

    Anthony Rapoport told investigators that he was tired of being "nagged" by his aunt.

    Then, at 4:13 p.m. on Christmas Day, Wilmette Police received a 911 call reporting a possible homicide at the home on Hill Lane. When officers arrived at the home they met with a man who said he had been summoned to the home by a phone call from his nephew, Anthony Rapoport, the release said.

    When he arrived he spoke in the driveway with Anthony, who told him that he had killed someone inside the home, according to the release. Anthony Rapoport fled the scene on foot prior to the arrival of the police.

    Officers found Nancee Rapoport on the first floor of the home. She was unconscious with severe head trauma. She was taken to Evanston Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 4:14 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

    Officers searched the neighborhood and found Anthony Rapoport walking in the 3100 block of Temple Lane. The officers observed blood on his clothing and he was arrested without incident.

    Anthony Rapoport admitted to hitting his aunt in the head with an aluminum baseball bat, police said. The murder weapon was recovered from the scene.

    He was charged with one count of first degree murder and was expected to appear for a hearing in Cook County Criminal Court in Skokie Monday afternoon, police said.