Flight Attendant Helps Land Plane - NBC Chicago

Flight Attendant Helps Land Plane

Helped the pilot land the plane after the first officer fell ill



    Celebrate This Holiday Season in Lively St. Charles
    Getty Images
    OAKLAND, CA - NOVEMBER 02: An American Airlines plane parks at the termial after arriving at the Oakland International Airport November 2, 2007 in Oakland, California. American Airlines is raising the price of domestic round-trip airfares $20 in an attempt to recover the cost of rising fuel prices. Delta Airlines is also raising fares on many of its domestic routes as oil prices near the $100 per barrell mark. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

    An flight attendant saved the day when she stepped up to replace an ill first officer on a plane traveling from San Francisco to Chicago on Monday.

    Patti DeLuna, 61, helped the pilot of American Airlines flight 1612 land safely at O’Hare International Airport after the first officer began suffering from flu-like symptoms.

    The plane’s pilot followed airline procedure and asked if anyone aboard was a certified pilot, said American spokesman Tim Wagner. When no one was, the flight attendant came forward.

    DeLuna earned her pilot's license in 1970 and logged over 300 hours in a Cessna, but she'd not used her training in over 20 years and her commercial license in inactive.  But she had the most flight experience of the crew and passengers on board the aircraft. 

    "On the airplane, we work as a team," said DeLuna.  "Nobody's a star.  Not even the captain.  It's all teamwork."

    Wagner didn't land the plane, but she was available to help with the checklist and other landing procedures.  

    "Things that are a lot easier to do if there are two people in the cockpit," said Wagner.

    "I felt like I got the opportunity of a lifetime," said DeLuna, who has been a flight attendant for 32 years.  "As sorry as I was that the first officer was sick, this was so great for me.  This is way more fun than galley duty."
    With the attendant’s help, the flight landed safely Monday evening. The first officer was treated at a hospital and released.