Mom Killed Kids to Spite Husband: Police - NBC Chicago

Mom Killed Kids to Spite Husband: Police



    Mom: Stabbed Children Had "Devils" Inside

    Elzbieta Plackowski confessed to police that she stabbed to death her 7-year-old son and a 5-year-old girl she was watching because they had devils inside them, according to a police account from Plackowski's bond hearing. (Published Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012)

    A Naperville woman accused of fatally stabbing her son and a girl she was babysitting appears to be blaming a history of domestic strife for the act.

    Police say Elzbieta Plackowski has confessed to the crime, and admitted to stabbing her son to death in order to hurt her husband who didn't appreciate her. He was always working and she had to live as a maid and babysitter which was "beneath her," according to her confession.

    "She told the detectives that she thought by killing (her son) Justin she would make her husband hurt the way she hurt in their relationship," DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin said.

    Plackowski's son, Justin, was stabbed 100 times amid pleas to stop. The 5-year-old girl, Olivia Dworakowski, was stabbed 50 times. Both had their throats slashed.

    Tae Kwon Do Instructor Remembers Slain Children

    [CHI] Tae Kwon Do Instructor Remembers Slain Children
    Justin Plackowska and Olivia Dworakowski, slain Tuesday night, were students at World Champion Tae Kwon do in Naperville. Emily Florez reports.
    (Published Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012)

    Plackowski allegedly told police that the children had devils inside them, according to a police account from Plackowski's bond hearing.

    "She stated the children had evil inside of them and she was trying to drive the devil out of them," Berlin said.

    Plackowski is being held with no bond on two counts of first degree murder.

    She told police that she had the children march into the girls bedroom in Dworakowski's home on the 800 block of Quin Court, told them to kneel and pray before she stabbed them repeatedly. They begged for their lives, but she told her son "you're going to heaven today," according to police.

    She also told police that earlier in the day she had brought the children to St Elizabeth of Seton Church, but then returned to the Olivia's house.

    The girl, 5, was killed because she was a witness to the crime. As were two dogs who were also killed.

    In a telephone conversation with NBC Chicago, Marta Dworakowski, the mother of the slain girl, said her daughter "was a beautiful little girl who had her life taken."

    Immediately after her arrest, Plackowski, who was reportedly covered in blood, told authorities that an intruder had broken in and carried out the crime, according to the state's attorney. She later revealed that she had fled the scene of the stabbings and traveled to Violet Church in Naperville --she said she had taken the children to the same church earlier in the day -- where she had her adult son call the police. 

    Police arrived at the Quin Court address at around 10:18 p.m. on Tuesday. 

    Neighbors said the family moved in about a month ago and that nobody knew them very well, but that Justin and Olivia were often seen playing together. 

    Their murders left the community in shock. 

    School District 203 director of communications Susan Rice said the news was having a "profound impact on families."

    "It is with great sadness that we inform you that the Brookdale community mourns the loss of one of our kindergarten students, who passed away last night," Principal Mary Howicz said in a statement. "The district's crisis team is in place this morning to support students and staff as they cope with this news. They will remain in place for as long as necessary as students work through their feelings and grief. If you feel your child is having any difficulty with this news, please don't hesitate to contact us so that we can be aware of your child's needs. Please keep the Brookdale family in your thoughts during this very difficult time."

    Supt. Dan Bridges had counselors on site to help students and said. He said they would remain as long as necessary.