Cage Fighter Sentenced for DUI - NBC Chicago

Cage Fighter Sentenced for DUI

Nate “The Leviathan” Patrick was tear-gassed, tasered before earlier arrest



    Celebrate This Holiday Season in Lively St. Charles
    File image

    A professional “ultimate fighter” who still faces trial in connection with a violent standoff earlier this year with law enforcement agents in Warrenville has been convicted of drunken driving in west suburban Naperville.

    Nathan J. Patrick, 34, bills himself as Nate “The Leviathan” Patrick. He pleaded guilty in DuPage County Circuit Court in Wheaton to a Naperville municipal charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.

    Judge Cary B. Pierce on Tuesday accepted Patrick’s plea and placed him on 18 months of supervision, according to court records. Pierce also ordered Patrick to undergo Level 2 substance abuse screening and pay fines and legal fees totaling $2,400, court records indicated.

    Naperville police on May 1, 2010 arrested Patrick on charges of driving while drunk. Records showed three additional charges of driving the wrong way on a one-way street, improper backing of a vehicle on a roadway and disobeying a traffic control device were dismissed Tuesday in court in exchange for Patrick’s plea.

    That wasn't his first run-in with the law.  Patrick, a military veteran, had to be tear-gassed and shot with a Taser in order to end a five-hour standoff March 11 at the Warrenville apartment complex where he lived, reports said.

    A Warrenville police spokesman in March said Patrick barricaded himself inside his second-floor apartment in the Village Green at Cantera Apartments, east of Winfield Road between Warrenville and Ferry roads.

    About 30 police officers and firefighters from nearby communities were then summoned to the scene, including members of the Felony Investigative Assistance Team SWAT unit. Court records indicated Patrick was placed on supervision and fined after being convicted in November 2007 of a misdemeanor charge of attempted resisting or obstructing a police officer. Patrick remained in DuPage County Jail Friday night on $500,000 bail.