A dozen teens were arrested over the weekend after a disturbance in downtown Chicago, just days after area police warned of a "zero tolerance" policy.
Police said 12 teens were arrested during a disturbance in the 0-100 block of East Chicago Avenue Sunday night. The group was charged with disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
Authorities said 11 of the teens arrested were under 18 years old and one 19-year-old was also arrested.
The city warned Friday that it would offer zero tolerance for any disturbances from roving crowds of teens in the downtown area.
Hundreds of officers were waiting along the Mag Mile Thursday night at the Red Line station at Chicago and State and arrested a few dozen teens. Chicago police sent out a tweet saying extra officers were on patrol Friday night too.
Just last week, 500 teenagers caused disturbances from the Mag Mile to Millenium Park.
Police made 31 arrests on charges ranging from disorderly mob action to theft and battery Wednesday night. An estimated 200 officers on foot, on bikes, and on horses were waiting for the teens, Ald. Brian Hopkins, 2nd, said.
"We had monitored on social media and we saw it growing in the couple of days leading up to this," he added.
Hopkins said he’s working with Chicago police to keep the peace in his ward.
He says the city is keeping a closer eye on the internet.
“We saw on social media, expressions of surprise in the aftermath of this, that there were some expressions of surprise that people actually got arrested," he said. "Last summer that wasn’t the case. You could come downtown and get away with just about anything."
Now, city officials said they have a message of zero tolerance for anyone thinking about causing problems.
“If you come downtown and your purpose for doing so is to rob people, to punch innocent people, to scare tourists, and to steal phones and purses, you’re going to get arrested," Hopkins said.