3 Juveniles in Custody After Attempting to Carjack 69-Year-Old Man: Police

Three juveniles are in custody after attempting to carjack a 69-year-old man Tuesday night on Chicago’s Southwest Side, according to police.

Around 11:42 p.m., Raul Sanchez was sitting in a parked car in the 2900 block of W. 59th St. in the city’s Gage Park neighborhood when three male offenders approached.

One of the suspects was armed with a handgun, according to police, and proceeded to hit Sanchez in the face and pull him from the vehicle. 

"When I looked, they hit me right in the front there and then they dragged me out of the car," Sanchez said.

As the suspects then attempted to enter his car, a struggle ensued in which Sanchez took out a pocket knife and stabbed the armed offender in the back. 

"I feel my knife in my pocket so I hit him right in the back," he said. "That's why they run, but they don't say nothing. When the kid screamed they got out of the car and they run."

The suspects then fled the scene on foot, authorities said, taking the car keys with them.

"I was lucky I didn't pass away," Sanchez said. "If I pass away, maybe they drag me off somewhere. They just take me out of the car right there on the floor."

Sanchez, the father of a Chicago police officer, sustained a laceration above his left eye, according to police, and was treated for his injuries at Holy Cross Hospital.

A butcher by trade, Sanchez said he normally carries a bigger knife with him.

"If I had the big one, I don't know what's happened," Sanchez said.

"At that time don't think about them, you think about yourself," he added. "So they were lucky too today."

Knowing one of the offenders was wounded, responding officers went to Holy Cross Hospital, where they found the three juveniles, who had sought treatment for the injured suspect.

The injured offender was then taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition for treatment of a stab wound to the torso, police said.

All three suspects were taken into custody with charges pending, authorities said, and the investigation is ongoing.

Contact Us